Wrapping the wood trim.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CLSMark

Banned
Car
Volkswagen Touareg
Has anyone done this?

I think the wood looks a bit pants, I've seen a few google images of eBay carbon fibre wrap over the top, looked quite good I thought.

Thoughts/opinions anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really easy, take the trims off then wrap! The guides on YouTube are good and it really is as easy as it looks!

Really easy, take the trims off then wrap! The guides on YouTube are good and it really is as easy as it looks!

Did you just use the 3m stuff from eBay?

What did you use for the cutting, a Stanley?

had mine carbon dipped; looks fine but it was a pig to get all trims removed; removing door panels were a pain due to the various connections and the computer ribbons.. having said that the guy who did it, did this for me :) I have seen the wrapped stuff and looks fine but I wouldn't be competent in achieving satisfactory results

had mine carbon dipped; looks fine but it was a pig to get all trims removed; removing door panels were a pain due to the various connections and the computer ribbons.. having said that the guy who did it, did this for me :) I have seen the wrapped stuff and looks fine but I wouldn't be competent in achieving satisfactory results

Yeh, my skill set is a bit Jeremy Clarkson when it comes to intricate stuff. I'm worried I'd make a hash of it, and hate it forever.

Luckily my cls doesn't have wood on the doors. Should be fairly straight forward removal. I hope

CLSMark said:
Yeh, my skill set is a bit Jeremy Clarkson when it comes to intricate stuff. I'm worried I'd make a hash of it, and hate it forever. Luckily my cls doesn't have wood on the doors. Should be fairly straight forward removal. I hope Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm about to take mine out but I'll be having it sprayed to match the designo piano black wood as I hate carbon wrapped interiors.

Wood looks great on some cars but not for me on the W210, had mine wrapped as I don't have the tools, patience or skill to do it myself! Not expensive so probably best to let the experts do it if in doubt.

I changed the brushed aluminium trim to Burr Ash wood (effect) by wrapping it..

May be swimming against the tide here, but with the original trim, the interior felt a bit like the interior of of a 1959 London bus, cold, hard and utilitarian...

The smallest bit of wood trim imprioved it enormously and most passengers remark on it, rather than just shuddering and telling me to turn ther heating up..

Got the wrap on ebay (from China) and £10 worth was enough to do all the door trims, the centre console and a reasonable amount left over.

Couldn't go back to brshed aluminium now, but changing it to something like carbon effect would be easy, having done it once.

I'd say you could do the entire interior in a day...

Yeh, my skill set is a bit Jeremy Clarkson when it comes to intricate stuff. I'm worried I'd make a hash of it, and hate it forever.

Luckily my cls doesn't have wood on the doors. Should be fairly straight forward removal. I hope

With the greatest respect, if you're no good at intricate as you say I wouldn't even try to take it apart. I've done mine and it's a big job to get it apart and if you don't take a lot of time and trouble with the wrapping it will look like sticky backed plastic.

Use 3M Dinoc and you can get a factory finish, not the thin version which is meant for wrapping the body.

Few details on taking it apart in the thread Gunning started just before yours.

I might give this a go in mine too. - I'm not a huge fan of the aluminium "sports" trim, but it's a lot of money to source all the dash trim pieces in walnut or similar.

I am a bit worried that carbon fibre with black leather and black paint is just a little too black. - Can you get an anthracite wrap?

I would imagine a competent "wrapper" could do the dash in-situ , the ashtray / gear surround and the small piece with the buttons for the heated seats could be removed and done outside the car.

The serrated piece between the rear seats may be more of a challenge , so i would try and source a piece of black trim and fit that instead.

If you have never wrapped anything before then it is pretty hard to get spot-on as i tried it on a set of bike mirrors and it never looked right , plus i wasted more than i had bargained for.

You could always buy the real thing : https://mbworld.org/forums/w219/375353-upgrade-cls-wood-interior-pieces-into-real-carbon-set.html

Kenny

I would imagine a competent "wrapper" could do the dash in-situ , the ashtray / gear surround and the small piece with the buttons for the heated seats could be removed and done outside the car.

The serrated piece between the rear seats may be more of a challenge , so i would try and source a piece of black trim and fit that instead.

If you have never wrapped anything before then it is pretty hard to get spot-on as i tried it on a set of bike mirrors and it never looked right , plus i wasted more than i had bargained for.

You could always buy the real thing : https://mbworld.org/forums/w219/375353-upgrade-cls-wood-interior-pieces-into-real-carbon-set.html

Kenny

How much? [emoji15]

Actually, those slats are a piece of cake, paint the whole thing in the 3M primer rather than just the edges, hold it completely flat and cover with one piece. Then run a scalpel down the gap between each slat and finally burnish the edges where you cut which will stop things catching on the edges.

Mines been on for over two years now and still looks perfect despite my youngest putting them to regular use.

I am a bit worried that carbon fibre with black leather and black paint is just a little too black. - Can you get an anthracite wrap?

I used graphite carbon, CA420, which is between black and silver. Plenty of contrast to the black without looking gawdy. It actually looks more like it's made of very fine wire as it has a very slightly metallic finish, more high end factory than Barryboys.

Bump

Decided to do this.

Sorry I know this has probably been asked a million times, but is there any guides/tips to trim removal? Or has anybody actually done it in situ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom