Wrist Watch Repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave Richardson

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W176 A class 180 cdi
Hi Are there any watch repairers on the site that could help with a small question please?

Maybe someone who is not a watch maker could answer your question.

I'm sure we are all dying to know either way.

:)

I'm intrigued now as well.

Not a watchmaker, though I know a few, but I am an avid collector. :)

I have a copy Rolex that was given to me as a gift & for personal reasons it actually means a lot to me.
As in most automatics it needed to be wound up occasionally by the winder & it's the winder that is the problem as it long longer grips & winds the mechanism. So I'm looking for someone who will replace the mechanism with either another automatic one or new battery mechanism, I just want to keep the same case.
Anyone ?

A copy Rolex.....I will get my popcorn :D

Whatever the rights and wrongs of replica watches it's obviously sentimental so needs sorting out for you.

Have a word with Joe at Anglesey Watches. He's very good and will be totally nonplussed about the provenance of it. He should also be able to repair yours as opposed to replacing the movement. :)

Here's some advice - do not take it to a Rolex AD. They will confiscate and destroy it under orders from Rolex.

You could order a new movement for the watch ftom an online site. You could get a reliable ETA movement for a couple of hundred or so pounds.

ChrisEdu said:
Here's some advice - do not take it to a Rolex AD. They will confiscate and destroy it under orders from Rolex.

Urban myth

That would be destruction of someone else's property and is illegal. The police could possibly seize it if they were that way inclined , and eventually it may end up being destroyed.

But not at a watch shop

Hi,

My good mate has watch repair shop in Hatton garden, they will not touch fakes under any circumstances because of reputation. Your going to have to find someone who is slightly unscrupulous to help you I'm afraid.

Best of luck,

Milo.

ChrisEdu said:

That's like saying to have our cars fixed at the mercedes dealers, wouldn't happen :p

(Excluding warranty and consumers that don't know how to search for indies)

Urban myth

That would be destruction of someone else's property and is illegal. The police could possibly seize it if they were that way inclined , and eventually it may end up being destroyed.

But not at a watch shop

I've been in the dealer when someone has come in with one wanting a battery change. It's exactly what they told them.

If its an auto then just shake it until it starts and wear it. I only wind mine for a couple of winds when I first set the time if I haven't worn it for a while as I tend to find they lose a minute or so from dead stop. Can you set the time/date?
Assuming its just the crown mechanism that is worn and that the rest works you shouldn't have a problem.

I've been in the dealer when someone has come in with one wanting a battery change. It's exactly what they told them.

Makes a good story.

The only goods I've heard of being confiscated in the UK are from traders or people trying to import and that has involved the authorities.

While the likes of Rolex have every right to protect their brand and deal with traders - are you really sure that extends to the right ro confiscarte private property from an individual?

However I can envisage a scenario were if you gave a replica watch to a local outlet and they then despatched it across a border (eg. Swiss border) to a repair centre then customs at that border might rightfully seize it.

Makes a good story.

The only goods I've heard of being confiscated in the UK are from traders or people trying to import and that has involved the authorities.

While the likes of Rolex have every right to protect their brand and deal with traders - are you really sure that extends to the right ro confiscarte private property from an individual?

However I can envisage a scenario were if you gave a replica watch to a local outlet and they then despatched it across a border (eg. Swiss border) to a repair centre then customs at that border might rightfully seize it.

Only reporting what I witnessed. The chap had gone in to the dealer and asked for a new battery for his fake Rolex.:doh: The dealer then informed him that if he gave it to them they would have to destroy it.

That's not to say that asking for a new battery for your Rolex is a sign that it's fake - they did produce some quartz watches.

Last edited:
Whatever the rights and wrongs of replica watches it's obviously sentimental so needs sorting out for you.

Have a word with Joe at Anglesey Watches. He's very good and will be totally nonplussed about the provenance of it. He should also be able to repair yours as opposed to replacing the movement. :)

Thank you, I appreciate your honest help, the watch was given to me by my father when he returned from holiday, sadly he passed away just a few days later. So it means a lot to me.

Dave

Thank you, yes I think it is just the stem & crown that's worn, I can still set the date & it works if wound by natural movement.
Dave

My dear friend is a Rolex dealer. They do not confiscate copy watches from individuals. They have no legal right to do so. A repairer would also have no legal right to keep your property (theft). They can simply refuse to repair it but then lose themselves business.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom