Wristwatch or Volvo?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RWDpetrol

Car
N/A
So I hit 40 this week and have been looking at watches for myself, suggested by my wife. She knows I'm fussy so no point surprising me. Now for less than half the price of a watch I could have this:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201402051576588

What do you think? Worth investing in?

Any suggestions for Swiss watches also appreciated.

I think watches all come down to personal taste... I like the less showy Breitlings and Omegas...

My watches are all in the 500-1000 bracket...

Although ive been tempted whilst strolling airport duty free's, I stop myself spending a fortune on them, im far too clumsy with my hands always in engine bays etc...

Also, lets face it, most arent going to be a good investment...
Like you I would rather buy a classic car, enjoy it and then sell it for a profit...

My watches are all in the 500-1000 bracket...

My £500 Tissot has been doing well for over 15 years.

Looking at IWC but most are silly money and the cheaper ones seem to get dismissed as simply being Swiss 'assembled'. Life's much easier with cars..

... but that volvo is never going to be a classic is it.

I drove a mint one of those quite recently and it was er.... very solid but utterly rubbish.

My local garage uses them as courtesy cars as they can pick mint ones up for £150 and customers cant break them.

... but that volvo is never going to be a classic is it.

My local garage uses them as courtesy cars as they can pick mint ones up for £150 and customers cant break them.

Agree not a classic but thought it's good value and something to keep and try from time to time. But compared to £150 (or so), I won't bother viewing.

That Volvo looks pretty tidy, if not worried about performance it is probably as near to a car for life as you will get.

At that mileage it would be a nice basis for a rally car! Shame its not a 3 door.

Seriously? £150? I have never found one anywhere near that price. Would be happy to buy one, maybe two if you could point me in the right direction!

Ive a Omega Seamaster, and love it to bits, The Volvo's is very nice and are appreciating in value, one persons view of a classic car may not be the same as someone else's.

You`re 40 - not 75 - forget the V***o.

So I hit 40 this week and have been looking at watches for myself, suggested by my wife.

What sort of watch are you looking for? Dress/sports? Chrono? Quartz/mechanical? I'm afraid I've got a bit of a collection going on.. currently up to 18 of the things :eek:. Most are relative cheapies but I do have a couple of decent pieces.

New watches, even decent ones, lose a significant chunk of value the minute you leave the dealers (remind you of anything?) but a decent second-hand one will hold its value as long as you choose wisely - a Rolex Submariner will always find a new home quickly, something garish from the likes of Hublot or Corum will be much more difficult to shift.

Happy to assist if I can..

Cheers,

Gaz

Last edited:
There are many virtues of the Volvo 240, build quality, comfort, reliability and load lugging (in the estate) but any form of excitement or investment potential are missing from that list.

Watches pass me by too.

There are many virtues of the Volvo 240, build quality, comfort, reliability and load lugging (in the estate) but any form of excitement or investment potential are missing from that list.

Watches pass me by too.

Perhaps Charles you could recommend to the OP a good Port to buy and lay down for the money instead?:cool:

For £1400 I think ports like Felixstowe, Tilbury and Dover would probably not be affordable. Thinking about it, you might just about get a mooring in Scunthorpe for that.

If your after a Volvo. try a c70 t5 or 850r Manual of course ;)

I'm not really looking for a Volvo or any car for that matter but from time to time I search autotrader and this caught my attention especially with the low miles. I know it's not fun or fast but it's a bit different.

Nomos make some very nice looking pieces, I saw some in KaDaWe when I was in Berlin last year and was seriously tempted..

Cheers,

Gaz

KaDaWe? Oh stop, my womans favorite store. It can destroy a nice holiday!

Happy to assist if I can..

Thanks. I have a Tissot bought in 1998 when my daughter was born. Now I have a son born in 2013 so thought it would be good to get a watch to pass down. I really know very little except I like IWC. My wife was thinking of the Petit Prince 2013 limited edition.

PM if you have something as old as 2013 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom