'Write-offs' and insurance.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

milleplod

Car
S212 E350CDi
Just wondering, having seen something on another thread, if anyone's ever been asked when setting up a policy on a car whether the car's ever been the subject of a write-off. I haven't, and I've just checked my latest proposal and there's nothing on there that indicates it was asked this time round either.

Pete

I would imagine there is an insurance national database that records all cars that have been written off and therefore has a Cat S/N marker against its registration #. I believe a Cat S has to be re registered with the DVLA before being put back on the road.

Never seen the question posed as to whether any car I have insured is/was a total write off.

Fairly sure I've been asked that on car insurance before.

Can't recall ever being asked.

Just gone through new insurance for two vehicles yesterday and wasn't asked the question in any comparison or direct sites.

It would have a 'marker' on the DVLA database.
All insurers etc subscribe to it (to also flag that the reg matches the car)

They will flag it for you with some quoting and some not

Nope never had that question asked either.

Not a standard question.

The "issue" never arises unless your vehicle is in an accident and it could then affect the "payout value".

Do not for a second believe that all vehicles are on "the register".

Surely it would be a question that you couldn’t honestly answer unless it was written off and put back onto the road under your ownership. Being realistic anything could of happened before you owned it. The insurers are the people that would have classified the vehicle after a accident so I would imagine it’s for them to log it.

Not a standard question.

The "issue" never arises unless your vehicle is in an accident and it could then affect the "payout value".

I seem to remember reading something about write-offs, that they cannot be insured under a comprehensive policy again, only TPFT, if true then insurers will need to have a way of knowing that before they offer cover.

There are different levels of "write off" I know there is not an issue with cat d/n but it may be different with catc/s and above. but yes it will almost certainly affeffect the payout in the event of total loss as the car is worth less on the market.

The categories are.
A - the vehicle is so badly damaged it must be crushed including all parts.
B - the vehicle needs to be crushed but some parts are salvageable
S - structural damage but can be repaired
N - non structural cosmetic damage

S used to be cat C and N used to be cat D in case you are looking at an older write off

Not a standard question.

If the vehicle is taxed, it is on 'the register'
The DVLA register is what the PNC dials into for the police to check vehicles though their enquiry also pulls in info from the MIB insurer data base
It holds your PII such as name and address.

If the vehicle has been categorised / written off or stolen, it is recorded on the MIAFTR and any claims (and and possibly convictions) are accessed via the CUE system (insurer and authorities only have access to that)

The DVLA register is also what Compare the market, Kwik Fit et al subscribe to for vehicle details and even tyre sizes when you go on line. Its a nice little earner for the DVLA.

In short, you don't need to be asked or tell them, they will (or ruddy well should) already know if the car has a category marker against it.

That is unless it was not claimed for, repaired (well or otherwise) and sold on with no accident report as does happen to avoid the 20% reduction in value it may take

Insuring categorised cars on a comp policy is possible, difficult, but genuinely possible

My brother has had a cat d car (now cat N) insured fully comp with five different companies over 10 years. At no time has he ever been turned down , questioned or had his premium raised as a result. Certainly on Cat D/N it is not an issue. Cat C/S maybe harder.

I've had insurance with various companies for around 30 years, classic and normal, dont recall ever being asked that before

My W220 was "written off" when on 38K miles after I skidded on ice, front wing hit a skip, car spun and other wing hit a bin, so both wings, front bumper, a headlight an alloy and some suspension part inc airmatic struts, plus the need for some spraying to blend in.
Issue with insurance and older cars is that they will always be a write off since insurance use new original parts which are not cheap.
The offer was market value (very low), good old merc depricaitation.
As I had the car from new I done some man maths, sourced many parts from cars being broken and some brand new.
My indy put it all back together and I was a nearly a few grand in pocket.
Car is now on 70k miles and a dream.
To answer your question - if anyone's ever been asked when setting up a policy on a car whether the car's ever been the subject of a write-off - no.

My 1978 capri had an engine fire the other week, wasn't going to claim from the insurance as I didn't want it written off, had a word with them, they send an assessor out last week, he told me to get screen shots from online sites of everything I needed to put it back on the road, including engine bay and bonnet painted, and he would get me a cash settlement, sounds good to me,
Does anyone know what that will mean for the car? As in, will it have a category mark against it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom