Written off CLK due to crash for cash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
T

TitusD

Taking the Mrs to work one morning,guy in front decides to fake a left hander then just stops. Out of the blue totally. No mad driving beforehand,no other car involved just a straight set up.
I hit the back of him causing small damage to his bumper,front of my 240clk was caved in. Insurance quoted £5400 for repairs so it was bye bye to that car.

Furious doesn't even begin to describe it.

This was in the West End of Edinburgh.

I know the guys name but not sure if I should post it. BMW 1 series.

It still rankles me and this guy may appear again targeting Mercs.
Apologies if it seems silly.

Reported to Police? What did your insurers say?

Reported to police who were useless and claimed on my insurance.
They weren’t interested either and it was simply my fault.

The cynical amongst us might agree, he looked to be turning left but you didn't slow and fall back? He just stopped, you were too close to stop in time...
It's always difficult to defend a rear end collision.
You must have hit at a fair old speed to cause so much front end damage

No mate he didn’t look to be turning left at all. We had just pulled away from lights he drove normally then simply hit the brakes hard THEN turned the wheels left. No indicator,road position made no sense,the left turn made no sense(as if he was going into a closed art gallery at 0550!!) but yeah,my fault.
Just got to suck it up eh?

Damage wasn’t too bad on mine either - no airbag deployed and the car was still driveable.
Problem was the cost of the repairs.

Not true about hitting at a 'fair old speed' to cause that amount of financial damage these days. My neighbours Honda something or other rolled nose first at almost walking pace on to the tow bar on my wife's car. our neighbour had forgotten the handbrake :rolleyes:. The visible damage to her bumper was negligible but behind the bumper was another story, The aluminium 'element' was buckled which had damaged the cooling system radiators.

From memory I think the bill for the Honda was around £1600. the tow bar escaped un damaged

I guess this is where dash cams come into their own. Won't be long before they are fitted as standard.
I wonder how the modern front crash/pedestrian auto brake type system would have coped with this type of scenario?

Approved repairers know how to charge that’s for sure!!
Without doubt but guess they are having to follow the manufacturers official repair procedures, which will include replacing everything with new parts/panels. Bought from the manufacturers....

This was in the West End of Edinburgh.

I know the guys name but not sure if I should post it. BMW 1 series.
Sorry to hear this, even if it happened a few month back.

How old was the other car?

How many passengers were in the other car at the time of the crash?

Did all of the occupants in the other car submit claims for personal injury?

Only the driver in the other car. He got a claim in for minor injuries.

Strange that as he was well able to film me and goad me with smart comments.

Any CCTV's in the area which may have caught it?

The police being uninterested would make me as furious as the a-holes doing it. People could so easily be killed.

Having a dash cam is so important now.

There was yeah but as I said the police weren’t bothered.

Im with you here - I can accept responsibility - but what he did was so dangerous it was terrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom