Written off CLK due to crash for cash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We had just pulled away from lights he drove normally then simply hit the brakes hard

I had a similar accident many years ago, pulling away from a junction with just the one car in front of me and nothing else in sight in either direction. He slammed the brakes on without any warning and I went into the back of him. But it was totally innocent - turned out to be an older guy in a brand new Volvo ... an automatic, which he wasn't used to driving. He'd taken his foot off the brake so the car moved off, then plonked his foot down on the accelerator but hit the brake pedal (which of course is much wider than on a manual car) again by mistake. He immediately said what had happened and apologised profusely, but at the end of the day I was still too close to stop in time - lesson learned. Getting a bit too close is pretty common at junctions and roundabouts, which I guess is why scumbags often choose these locations to stage accidents nowadays.

I worked in the docks for a while. While supervising the offloading of Mazda cars the guys would drive them off the ferry into a warehouse we used to await pickup. One guy was driving with another too close behind him. First guy braked by mistake - same thing;automatic - and the other guy drove right into him.
£40000 of damage. The boss hit the roof.

I worked in the docks for a while. While supervising the offloading of Mazda cars the guys would drive them off the ferry into a warehouse we used to await pickup. One guy was driving with another too close behind him. First guy braked by mistake - same thing;automatic - and the other guy drove right into him.
£40000 of damage. The boss hit the roof.

Sounds a lot.

The cars were literally brand new mate. Think they had about 6 miles on each of them and both were total losses.
Think they had to cover transport costs also.

Im sure I’ve read somewhere that unless the car is a brand new model, repairers can use second hand parts to repair.

The question is, have you fitted a decent dash cam on your replacement car?
It's the first thing I'd have done.

Not yet,no. Can't find a decent one that doesn't have a stupid wire leading from it!

Not yet,no. Can't find a decent one that doesn't have a stupid wire leading from it!

Get it hardwired. You won't see any wires leading to the fuse box as its hidden where the top of the screen meets the roof lining and down the A pillar.
Halfords fit them for around £30.

Did you consider buying your car back and getting it repaired independently?

I’m sure I read somewhere that these lowlife avoid cars with DashCams so fitting one may actually be a deterrent if they can see it. Apparently they also target Mums with kids or pensioners as they are less likely to make a fuss and cause problems.

Yeah moodi I did - but the settlement figure was ok and I'd seen another that I liked.

Went from a CLK240 to the convertible version. Got burned a bit on that though (dodgy MOT) so got it mostly sorted and sold it on then moved on to the car I have now. My fourth Merc in two years!

Reported to police who were useless and claimed on my insurance.
They weren’t interested either and it was simply my fault.

Without independent witnesses or evidence such as dashcams or CCTV, what is there for the police to investigate? It is not their job to sit as arbiters in non-serious, damage-only RTCs.

Agreed. So why did a policeman assure me it would be investigated by the relevant station?

He then went back on it.

Still kick myself for not getting them there at the time of the incident.

Without independent witnesses or evidence such as dashcams or CCTV, what is there for the police to investigate? It is not their job to sit as arbiters in non-serious, damage-only RTCs.
I'm not so keen on leaving it to Kevin or Karen at the insurance call centre to decide whose at fault.

Im sure I’ve read somewhere that unless the car is a brand new model, repairers can use second hand parts to repair.
Not true, Strictly speaking, if some one hits your car, then you are entitled to all new parts, regardless of the age or value of the car. BUT, in most cases, the use of new part's in an old car, will put it over the economical repair value, and it will be scrapped. But, if its your own fault, and you are paying for it yourself, then you can authorise the repairer to use 2nd hand part's.

I'm not so keen on leaving it to Kevin or Karen at the insurance call centre to decide whose at fault.

I appreciate that but no police officer will apportion blame for a damage-only "he said/he said" RTC with no independent evidence. All parties have two choices - sort it out themselves or involve the insurance companies.

No, if a brand new car gets damaged, if any body panels are changed it cannot be sold as a new car, so in all cases where a brand new car has been damaged they will repair the original parts in some manner or another where they would be replaced on another car

No, if a brand new car gets damaged, if any body panels are changed it cannot be sold as a new car, so in all cases where a brand new car has been damaged they will repair the original parts in some manner or another where they would be replaced on another car

Hi,
In this country, when you take out car insurance - you choose whether you want Agency or non-Agency policy.
With the more expensive Agency policy - car is repaired by vehicle makers Bodyshop using new, original parts.
The cheaper non-Agency policy - car is repaired by insurers approved garage using 2nd hand or new parts.
You cannot buy Agency policy on cars over about 8 years old.
Cheers
Steve

I appreciate that but no police officer will apportion blame for a damage-only "he said/he said" RTC with no independent evidence. All parties have two choices - sort it out themselves or involve the insurance companies.
True enough.

Shame though.

There was a bump outside the station at the lights this lunchtime, police attended, I wonder if they established blame. There might have been cameras to review the circumstances, maybe we need more cameras - oh, hang on...

Hi,
In this country, when you take out car insurance - you choose whether you want Agency or non-Agency policy.
With the more expensive Agency policy - car is repaired by vehicle makers Bodyshop using new, original parts.
The cheaper non-Agency policy - car is repaired by insurers approved garage using 2nd hand or new parts.
You cannot buy Agency policy on cars over about 8 years old.
Cheers
Steve
Not sure what your talking about, but im on about brand new cars before they are sold to an owner

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom