Written off or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tonyc280

Car
1997 C280 V6 Elegance Auto Facelift. 1992 Kawasaki ZZR1100 C3
my 1997 c280 that cost me £1250.00 about nine months ago is going for a repair and not i hope to be written off. There's about according to a couple of local body shops about £600.00 worth of damage including a new front wheel and tyre that's needed and a side door moulding that's about £50.00 and am wondering what the outcome will be. Hope to god it's not written off as have put my heart and soul into this car. I suppose it all hangs on what its valued at and i can imagine they will say about £800.00 Any ways I'll find out by next Monday or Tuesday. Cheers, Tony.

You always have the option to may for the repair and not write it off. If you write it off for £800, then what?

I don't subscribe to the "uneconomical repair" point being where the repair cost exceeds the market value of the car. What matters is how much the car is worth to you, and if there is a better way to spend your money than repairing the car you already know.

well i will argue that the car was immaculate pre accident and has fsh so I'll not settle for less than a grand but then i don't think I'll find another rust free w202 again. Mine is the facelift with the beautiful and smooth V6 motor that runs like a dream. I don't have the funds to go towards another Merc so i think i'm going to end up with an old mondeo or a vectra which i've had before :(

well i will argue that the car was immaculate pre accident and has fsh so I'll not settle for less than a grand but then i don't think I'll find another rust free w202 again. Mine is the facelift with the beautiful and smooth V6 motor that runs like a dream. I don't have the funds to go towards another Merc so i think i'm going to end up with an old mondeo or a vectra which i've had before :(

Someone crashed into me many years ago and I was offered much lower than the value of my car I refused this.

I told my insurers to claim the value I had on their books from the other insurers as that is what I was paying for or secondly I asked them to get an identical spec'd car for what they were offering me, about a week later I got an offer better than what I had valued it at.

Are you claiming off your own insurance? If not refuse the offer if it is written off and I am sure it will be and get another or ask them to source the car for you with the equivalent spec and condition to yours prior to accident.

afaik you should also have the option of contributing towards the cost of repairs, but remember it will be on top of any *excess on your policy. (*Assuming it was you fault).

Yes was my fault. drove into Brick wall at the side of my garage. i still don't know what really happened:dk:

Whats wrong with your wheel and door? is it just cosmetic?

i know how you feel tony i had a black 1997 w202 1 owner from new 80000 miles and not a single blemish anywere,i only paid £600 for it had it about 12 months and the gearbox went,it seemed to expensive to repair so i scrapped it.

Personally I would do a deal with the body shop. Its amazing how much lower the price can be if they know you are paying. When you take into account the likely excess and rise in premium next year its hardly worth claiming. I took this route a couple of years ago when I hit some sort of animal in the 124. New bumper, grille, headlight etc. Fortunately no metal or mechanical damage. Repairs were £1200. (new bumper for a 124 is >£500 + vat) Never regretted paying for it though.

Don't understand why you went.down the insurance route. They will pretty much right it off straight away.

You could easily get it repaired much cheaper if you get it repaired privately.

Thanks for all your replies chap's but have to go down the insurance route because of lack of funds at the moment. Excess only £200.00 in total and protected so not an enormous amount, even for a semi retired furniture maker:thumb:

tony i dont want to be the bearer of bad news but when my saab was stolen i claimed and i had protected no claims but they still put my policy up,when i asked why they said because i made a claim they had to load my premium.

tony i dont want to be the bearer of bad news but when my saab was stolen i claimed and i had protected no claims but they still put my policy up,when i asked why they said because i made a claim they had to load my premium.

Ditto - I've had this happen in the past

Sounds like you just need a wheel and tyre. £100 at most.

I getcha. :)

So, drive round with a dented door for a while until you find a suitable replacement at a breaker.

Beats driving around in a Vectra.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom