Wrong car registered to the wrong name. SD missing for SatNav and Engine size wrong

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slking1989

Car
None
Good afternoon all.

First post, please excuse any noobness to this forum.

I am actually writing on behalf of my Mrs' father who is limited to just some English language.

He has recently purchased a Mercedes B Class 180.

I am not altogether up to date with the specifics but i have enough infomation to start this thread.

Firstly, The vehicle that has been registered is a Mercedes 245G. This has a completely different registration plate and has been registered in the name of his son. His son travelled to Birmingham to help with translating, along with my Mrs who also made the trip.

Secondly, the dealer advised that it would include a working SatNav (This was the main point of sale, any Mercedes without working SatNav would not have been an option. Though the car comes with built in Garmin SatNav pilot, it did not include the required SD Card. The SD card is £500.

Furthermore the buyer was advised (and asked for) a 1.8L version, but instead he has a 1.5L

Clearly they are not happy with the purchase, and although i have not got the documentation yet.. I will have in it a few hours.

Have they been blagged? I would hope they have check the documents before but i cant be sure until i finish work.

What advice do you have?
Is the vehicle registration something dodgy? or just 2 simple mistakes concluding to 1 huge mistake?

Would this mistake give me leverage to get the SD card without charge?

I have looked in to the 30 day return policy and believe they may wish to exchange, i am sure that i would. But even then the exchange is based on the spec so i dont know.

I will report back this evening with more details.

Sounds a complete cluster*u*k - all depends on the paperwork though

As far as I am aware, MB no longer make a 1.8 engine for the facelift B-Class. I am assuming you are talking about the facelift model as you mention the Garmin SD Card for SatNav.

The B180 is a 1595cc engine, and the B180 diesel is a 1461cc engine.

As for the SatNav, the car is capable of having SatNav without any modification however the SD card is an optional extra if you have not specced an additional package (executive, premium or premium plus).

It sounds like the mistake is purely a name thing which I'm sure can be rectified by the dealer. The rest seems correct although there may have been some mis-understanding over the SatNav.

Sorry i forgot to mention that the Car is not new. I believe it is 1 year old. Im not sure how that affects your comment amzchhabra.

I am told it is a 1440cc engine. but i will clarify this.

From what i understand, the satnav does not work without the SD card. Also it is one card per car and they can only be used once, in one car. So it being a used car could mean that even a new card wouldnt work? and there should have been one in there originally?

Sorry i forgot to mention that the Car is not new. I believe it is 1 year old. Im not sure how that affects your comment amzchhabra.

I am told it is a 1440cc engine. but i will clarify this.

From what i understand, the satnav does not work without the SD card. Also it is one card per car and they can only be used once, in one car. So it being a used car could mean that even a new card wouldnt work? and there should have been one in there originally?

Correct, it is now a 1.5l engine. It replaced the old 1.8 and has the same amount of power. That shouldn't be an issue.

Firstly, The vehicle that has been registered is a Mercedes 245G. This has a completely different registration plate and has been registered in the name of his son. His son travelled to Birmingham to help with translating, along with my Mrs who also made the trip.

Depends on the description - the designation of a MB B-Class is W245 - if that makes any sense to you.

It may be very important that if the wrong name is down as registered keeper that his insurance company is aware of the error - depending on his policy it may require that the policy holder is also the registered keeper.

I have looked in to the 30 day return policy and believe they may wish to exchange, i am sure that i would. But even then the exchange is based on the spec so i dont know.

The exchange conditions are not widely publicised but AIUI there are limitations such as only a swap for a vehicle that is the same or better (with extra cash) from the *dealer's* stock.

I think if you were to look back over the years of postings on these forums you will find very few instances of a successful exchange - in most cases the dealer will try and remedy any problem.

The B180 is a 1.5 cdi engine. So that is that one out of the way and no real problem.

The model code is a W245, the G bit on the end tells you it is the newer 1.5 engine I believe, it was B before that.
So no real problem.

The cars are prepped for Garmin Map Pilot. If all you need is the SD card, you can buy ones from Ebay from around £25, maybe 2014/15 and 2016 is now out, but get one and send the dealer the invoice.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-M...765145?hash=item1ea6d17a99:g:00QAAOSw7hRWOSPG

Is this from an M-B dealer?

It's not unusual for 'approved used' cars to be sold with bits missing. Our C Class estate 'lost' the Bluetooth puck for the phone and the load cover between test drive and collection, and my SL had no wind blocker or first aid kit. I assume someone at the dealerships has a nice little sideline in selling them on eBay - it's likely that a good proportion of car buyers won't realise, or if they do won't want to make a fuss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom