Wrong oil put in engine .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

optimusprime

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mercedes W124 260E M103
Well i ordered this 5L of Castrol Magnatec 10w40 oil from Eurocarparts .
It came and the 5 L bottle looked normal other than it had no information on it to say if it was Semisynthetic , or Fullysynthetic just said it was Magnartec other than use in Gasoline or Diesel . I just thought that the lables had been modified in some way. After all it was Magnated 10w40 .
The next day i changed the oil , and i also had to put with this new oil a little more i had in the garage from the last oil change ,just to bring it up to the mark on the dip stick .
Well i started the car up after the oil change , and right away it spun over nice and fast,, faster than it ever did before . This keept surfacing in my head .And taking another look at the bottle it had nothing on there to say it was fully synthetic .and i mean nothing . So i looked on ebay at the fullysynthetic oil bottles to find i had just loaded up the sump with Fullysynthetic oil and about 1l of Semisynthetic . This is something i have always been against fullysynthetic oil .And here i am with 80% fuillysynthetic and 20% normal oil .Thank you Eurocarparts for sending the wrong type of oil .

Both Castrol's site and ECP say it is semi-synthetic for the 10W40 A3/B4- the label only advises it is 'Synthetic technology' Surely the important thing is it meets the correct MB spec. The other grades are fully synthetic

This is something i have always been against fullysynthetic oil .And here i am with 80% fuillysynthetic and 20% normal oil .Thank you Eurocarparts for sending the wrong type of oil .
Why are you against fully synthetic oil? As long as it meets the appropriate MB specification and is the right viscosity then there's nothing to be concerned about. If you're very concerned then you could change the oil again for your own peace of mind.

Isn’t all 10w40 semi syn? I sometimes use 5w40 full syn in the 190 when I have it left over from other cars - no ill effects.

No doubt either oil is better than anything available when the car was new or is used in old mercs in the third world. Chill!

Larcone we are going some place now .I did a check on ebay and all the Magnatec 10xw40 are A3 B4 and they are semi synthetic .
All the 5w30 are fully synthetic . .I am having problems loading up pictures or i could show you the lable on the bottle .There is nothing to say its semi synthetic or coal oil that is what fooled me . It needs part synthetic put on the lable .I searched and can not find a lable like i have on this container .Where its got Semi synthetic it reads Petrol or Diesel .

Larcone we are going some place now .I did a check on ebay and all the Magnatec 10xw40 are A3 B4 and they are semi synthetic .
All the 5w30 are fully synthetic . .I am having problems loading up pictures or i could show you the lable on the bottle .There is nothing to say its semi synthetic or coal oil that is what fooled me . It needs part synthetic put on the lable .I searched and can not find a lable like i have on this container .Where its got Semi synthetic it reads Petrol or Diesel .
If it doesn't say that it's fully-synthetic or semi-synthetic then it's very likely mineral based. Which spec is on the label, eg MB 229.3?

I wouldn't worry about it in the slightest.

Worrying about synthetic vs semi synthetic is pointless as the synthetic isn't real synthetic anyway. Unless it cost £50 for 5 litres it will mostly likely be a group 3 base which is highly refined mineral oil.

It's easier just to buy oil that meets the MB spec then you can't go wrong.

Well semi synthetic is complete pot luck,there is no standards for how much or little synthetic oil is used,what matters is does it meet the MB standard.

All in all the containers dont have enough information on them ,,other than 10W40 A3 4B .All this should never have happend .Thanks lads .

Attachments

• ttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.JPG
    ttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 19
  • mmmmmmmmmmmm.JPG
    mmmmmmmmmmmm.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 20
As others said, 10W-40 is Semi-Syth.

This is the oil that Castrol recommend for your car:

They recommend a different variant (Castrol Ultraclean as opposed to Castrol Magnatec), but the basic spec is the same - 10W-40 A3/B4. I suspect that they recommend the Ultraclean because it has the MB-Approval to Spec Sheet 229.1.

Were you looking to buy Castrol Magnatec Full-synth?

A3/B4 is a good enough spec and in fact MB require oil to meet A3/B4 with some tweaks of their own in addition.

According to Castrol's website that oil is part synthetic, MB spec 226.5. They only seem to show two 10/40s (semis) although somewhere on the site it says they do produce a fully synthetic 10/40. The word 'synthetic' is a minefield when it comes to a definition; and there are significant differendcs between various synthetic oils.

The never ending new oil specs, recommendations and approvals etc. are becoming a pain and a lot of the bumf is simply marketing. The most important issue is the spec.

Thanks but i do know what i need, I purchased the right oil and have used Magnatec every service forthe last 5 years .. problem was the lable on the oil container had changed and on it never said that the oil was semi synthetic and thatr confused me ,,. I know now its been pointed out to me that all 10W40 A3 B4 is a semi synthetic . All sorted out . Thanks .

Old post .. but to get the facts right ,, you can buy Castrol Magnatec 10w40 fully synthetic oil ..so not all 10W40 is semi synthetic.

It matters not as they are both marketing terms. The fully synthetic can't possibly be fully synthetic at that price point. It was Castrol that won a court case that basically said you can market an oil as synthetic even though it isn't a synthetic formulation provided is performs like a synthetic oil. Mobil wasn't happy at the time because Mobil 1 was a true synthetic although it isn't any more.

The whole mineral vs semi vs full synthetic debate is pointless because the only thing that matters is how the oil performs. The judge got that bit right and we can too because the MB spec tells us how the oil will perform. Which is just as well because MB oil isn't a true full synthetic either.

Which is just as well because MB oil isn't a true full synthetic either.
Interesting, It meets the MB spec but there is obviously better oils to use.
Is that why you can buy it so cheap in 20 litre containers from Ebay etc?
Is it worth buying a fully synthetic oil for £50 or so, or will it make any difference in real terms for everyday normal driving when changed every 12 months or 10,000 miles, or even less ?

Interesting, It meets the MB spec but there is obviously better oils to use.
Is that why you can buy it so cheap in 20 litre containers from Ebay etc?
Is it worth buying a fully synthetic oil for £50 or so, or will it make any difference in real terms for everyday normal driving when changed every 12 months or 10,000 miles, or even less ?

It's because MB oil is so cheap that it can't possibly be a true full synthetic but if it meets the spec it must be good enough for it's prescribed use. I don't see any advantage spending double or triple the price for a real synthetic. Perhaps if I had an AMG engine but not otherwise.

A long time ago there was a famous case in the United States when MOBIL challenged Castrol over use of the word synthetic when describing their oil products. Castrol won the case but essentially it was about semantics rather than the technology. They were also quite adept at the 4 L versus 5 L container marketing trick to inflate their prices. Steered clear of them ever since!

I've got no problem with the mineral group 3 oil basestock being described as a synthetic as it's highly refined .

There's always group 4 and 5 true synthetics to add and then there's the additive package concentration.

Some good oils are just that , groups 3 , 4 and 5 + additive package .

Castrol ( BP ) are mediocre at best and their marketing stinks the worst being 4L and 'Magnatec' trying to make the oil seem special and unique but the masses don't have a scooby and seemingly fill their boots .

Love this one for SUV engines , SUV.....

Dual lock technology..
... WTF .

Screenshot_20220316-234227_Chrome.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom