Wrong Plates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JohnEclass

Car
S6/Q5/C300/S4/W209/W211
So last August I bought my C300, lots of issues with engine management light and missing spare key took a couple of months to sort out, with lots of complaining to dealership and their customer service department.
In amongst all this they changed the plates over as it still had a private reg when I picked it up that the previous owner wanted back, no issue there as my name was not Sven! (I needed car for my sons wedding so took it before plates had been processed by DVLA)
Didn't think anything about it, car was already insured by this point with correct reg.
Wednesday night went to get insurance quotes for renewal... car came up as a Mitsubishi Outlander???? so found the V5 and the reg was wrong by one letter, last letter should have been a G but was a B!!:fail
Called dealership on Thu, they said no problem bring it in tomorrow we'll make up plates ready and swap them over.
All went well, plates ready, changed before I had finished my coffee.
Happy with that, but then thought, I've been driving on false plates since August!!
So how would that have played out with the police?... would I have been charged?? :eek:
I suppose the upside is that if I have any speeding offences since August, they are sat with an irate Outlander owner!!
Final question...how on earth did I miss it and the dealership! It was in and out at least 5 times including for a key coding where I had to produce the V5.

Get over it. It's a typo.

A guy I work with died on Tuesday at work.

People make silly mistakes, life's to short to worry about what ifs......

Not the reply you expected and I apologise.... But seriously, move on.

Any tickets issued will have gone to the registered keeper of the incorrect plate. He/she would presumably appeal. But it is more likely you have not generated any tickets.

It is your responsibility to ensure your vehicle is legal in all respects. So any legal or Police interest could fall on how sympathetic they are on the day and any previous that you may have.

Naughty MB. But it is a slip.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

I recall another thread like this where a main dealer got a digit wrong in a registration number, relatively recently. You're not alone, and almost certainly down to human error.

Picked up 2 new almost identical cars from a dealer yesterday, one in white & one in silver.

Reg. numbers are one digit apart, I checked the VIN numbers on the car and windscreen and verified they both had the correct plates front and pack.
Just too easy for someone to stick the wrong plate on one of the the cars.

B for G sounds like it was a verbal communication that got garbled, or perhaps bargled....

...but, like Bruce says, it's ultimately up to you to make sure its right as you will carry the can for it.

As for how you missed it, the brain is a funny thing - a lot of the time we see what we expect to see, not what is there, so unless you explicitly looked, you didn't actually 'see' it at all. Funny enough, checking that the number was correct was pretty much the first thing we did when we collected our new one last December, then when the V5 arrived made damn sure it was all 100% Probably reflects more on my suspicious and somewhat detail obsessed personality than anything else though.

Glad it got sorted out without pain though.

Get over it. It's a typo.

A guy I work with died on Tuesday at work.

People make silly mistakes, life's to short to worry about what ifs......

Not the reply you expected and I apologise.... But seriously, move on.

Not a problem, just thought i'd share a strange issue, you are correct life's too short, no offence taken:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom