Wrong Spark Plugs!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimmy

MB Enthusiast
Car
Discovery 3 TDV6, Discovery 300TDi - Plaything!
Had a nightmare today.:crazy:

I finished work at dinner time today and my car wouldn't start.:eek: Kept turning over but wouldn't fire up.:eek: :eek:

Anyway, seeing as I was at work I guessed new spark plugs might help. I changed the plugs which isn't easy with a limited tool kit!! and it started straight away.

The old plugs (Bosch) were in a bit of a rough state to say the least and I noticed they were not the correct ones for my car.:crazy:

I recently had an A service but I guess they don't check the plugs every time. The plugs that were in it were one heat range different to the correct ones, F7KTCR's instead of F8KTCR's. I fitted the NGK equivalent as that is what we stock and am told they are better??

Anybody know why these different plugs may have been fitted? Could it have been a mistake or would they have been fitted for a reason? I guess Mark would be the man to answer this one.

Sorry jimmy - no excuse for fitting wrong plugs !

Check which ones MB recommend - and not which ones Bosch advocate - there is sometimes a difference

NGK or Splitfire every time for me !!

Even Koolvin has NGK's now!

Mark

Last edited:
Thanks Mark,

There is a MB sticker on the front of the engine bay giving the engine details and recommended plugs, in my case F8KTCR. I checked the NGK catalogue and cross referenced from the Bosch number to make sure I was fitting the right plugs.

Have to say it felt better driving home.;)

Originally posted by Mark300SL

Even Koolvin has NGK's now!

Yup :) for a C230K V grooved!

I have heard that NGK are phasing out the VG V-grooved plugs, evidently they were introduced as a better plug for unleaded fuel but have not prooved very successful.

Originally posted by jimmy
I have heard that NGK are phasing out the VG V-grooved plugs, evidently they were introduced as a better plug for unleaded fuel but have not prooved very successful.

because of poor performance or....?

No, I think the plugs perform OK, just not such an advantage over standard plugs to make them worthwhile.

We don't sell many VG's at all, plenty of twin and triple electrodes though.

No point to put wrong grade spark plug, u have to follow the factory manual, for the recommed plugs...

The spark plug temperature grade play important role in the ignition, if it goes too hot, the fuel might fire up itself earlier, before the spark! If it is too cold, the engine will not fire up with the right timing (too late)!

Timing is very important to your engine, wrong plug will damage itself, if too hot; but will also damage your engine!

Gary!

I have noticed it is starting, running and driving better with the new NGK plugs. :rolleyes:

Don't know if it is because the old ones were the wrong ones, past their best or because these are NGK.

See how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom