Wrong spec delivered

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

seven

Car
Transporter Kombi
What would you do?
Ok, its not a Mercedes, but my new VW transporter came today. Minus the heated seats that I specced. Can't be retrofitted by VW dealer as requires a new loom. Dealer says he will order a new van (3 months or so) and take back this one but this seems a little excessive to me. Its only heated seats after all!
I suppose the point is I ordered heated seats because I wanted them and that is what I should get. They do help with my bad back as well.
What does the panel think?

I'd want the use of the misbuild while I am waiting for them to fulfill the contract.

If you're not that bothered then get a discount at least 3 times the price of the heated seats. Personally, I would get the heated seats as I love them.

You ordered them as you wanted them.

If they are willing to offer a descent incentive for you to take the van and you are happy with it, I would be looking at something in the £1500 region.

If not then get the spec you want, if your are trading in make sure they stand by the trade in price they offered while you wait for them to correct their mistake.

J.

I think I'm going to forget waiting for another van and try and agree some sort of compensation, whether that be monetary or service/extras related.
Thanks for the input.

I have a t5 due in 6 wks and from what I read this is common place with VW.The seats can be retro fitted by an indie,but without the original buttons,its a good bit dearer than the option price.Go over to VW t5 forum,somebody there will tell you how,who and how much.Personally if I wanted them and I could wait I would,the alternative is some nice sportline bits (fitted or in the box to sell on),free servicing or some discount.

Are the leather seats or cloth?

If leather, I'd definitely hold out for the heated seats.

Presumably they did not actually include in the bill the cost of the option that they failed to deliver?

If so then I think that either compensation or alternatively free use of another van (not necessarily the new one, to be fair to them) is a reasonable outcome.

Here's a tale to give you a smile.

I ordered a brand new Passat estate, with a few extras and a dealer-fitted tow bar. I struck a remarkably good deal, which seems to be part of the problem.

On collection day, just after a holiday and 4 weeks after they'd had my trade-in I went out to look at the car. "What do you think?", asked the salesman. "Nice car" I said, "But it has too many pedals". Some genius upstairs has assumed that my remarkably good deal was for a manual, whereas I wanted an auto and the truncated description on their internal paperwork didn't tip him/her off.

So now, they have a car already registetered in my name, with a fitted tow bar, that I don't want.

I was offered the chance of a replacement from factory - 14 weeks. Okay, said I, I'll need a loan car for the duration. And no, I don't want a Golf, I've got one of them at home. No, I don't want a Jetta, that's a Golf with a boot. I want an estate or a Toureg".

Long story short, they found a car ordered as a demonstrator, right colour, just arrived at the docks. It was fully loaded - heated front screen, rear sunblinds, premium bluetooth, folding mirrors, dual zone, winter pack, parking sensors, etc. The only thing it lacked was the towbar (had to be fitted locally) and the fancy radio upgrade I'd ordered, which was swapped over from the original car.

They wanted me to pay the full price of the extras. I didn't, but got the car for a couple of hundred quid extra.

Stamp your feet, throw a paddy, it will get sorted. By the way, where was the dealer? Anywhere in Lincolnshire?

Last edited:
Presumably they did not actually include in the bill the cost of the option that they failed to deliver?

Actually they did in the original invoice. The one they presented me with on delivery didn't have it on.

Stamp your feet, throw a paddy, it will get sorted. By the way, where was the dealer? Anywhere in Lincolnshire?

Wiltshire.
Not my thing to shout about it. In fact my first question to the boss was whether the salesman would be in trouble.
I suppose that really I should insist on getting what I ordered.

I know for a fact with Ford when there was a serious misbuild the process if there was no other model available, was to let the customer drive the **** up until the correct vehicle popped off the line, these were put on special orders and usually took only a few weeks, the misbuild then went straight into pre-reg stock......no harm no foul and the customer was happy as he thought he had a newer car than he would have and had use of a free car.
I am surprised VW won't do the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom