Wrong tyre size?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Markw70

Car
E220d AMG Line Coupe
I hope someone can advise me. I bought my 2016 E class AMG line coupe 3 weeks ago from a Mercedes main dealer and I think the rear tyres are the wrong size? Currently I have 4 tyres fitted that are 235/35R19Y ,but I think I should have 255/30R19Y on the rears according to the fuel flap sticker. So what affect will the wrong size tyres have if anything, and do you think it warrants contacting the dealership and seeing if they will put it right? Unfortunately they are 110 miles away so I can’t just drop in, and I wanted to get all the facts and opinions first. Thanks Mark.

Are the rims the same width front and rear?

I hope someone can advise me. I bought my 2016 E class AMG line coupe 3 weeks ago from a Mercedes main dealer and I think the rear tyres are the wrong size? Currently I have 4 tyres fitted that are 235/35R19Y ,but I think I should have 255/30R19Y on the rears according to the fuel flap sticker. So what affect will the wrong size tyres have if anything, and do you think it warrants contacting the dealership and seeing if they will put it right? Unfortunately they are 110 miles away so I can’t just drop in, and I wanted to get all the facts and opinions first. Thanks Mark.
Hi , I had a similar problem with C207/E400.The supplying dealer as part of the deal replaced the front tyres on the car but I had a telephone call from them saying Mercedes state all 4 tyres have to replaced as a set.

This the dealer duly did , however the put the incorrect tyre size on the rear 35 instead of 30 and tyres changed again.

I would get in touch with the dealer and get them changed as per Mercedes requirements.

I contacted my insurance company and told them the issue and they recorded the problem.

The incorrect tyre size increases ride height by 12mm on the rear.

I never had any issues with the ride but I felt that the handling improved with the correct tyre size.

Your car should run on Cont 5p that are still being made.

Hope that helps

Tbh I don’t know are there any visible markings, or do you need to remove the wheel?
They are marked on the inner face.

Some have a staggered set up with wider rear wheels and tyres whilst some cars will be supplied with the same tyre size etc all round.

Hi , I had a similar problem with C207/E400.The supplying dealer as part of the deal replaced the front tyres on the car but I had a telephone call from them saying Mercedes state all 4 tyres have to replaced as a set.

This the dealer duly did , however the put the incorrect tyre size on the rear 35 instead of 30 and tyres changed again.

I would get in touch with the dealer and get them changed as per Mercedes requirements.

I contacted my insurance company and told them the issue and they recorded the problem.

The incorrect tyre size increases ride height by 12mm on the rear.

I never had any issues with the ride but I felt that the handling improved with the correct tyre size.

Your car should run on Cont 5p that are still being made.

Hope that helps
Thanks for the reply, I’ve just looked at the tyres and they all have loads of tread, so they might have all been changed by the dealer like yours. If that’s the case I doubt they will do much much about correcting it.

Maybe worth a look in the handbook (if you have one) to see if there’s a difference between front & rear tyre/wheel sizes?

Input your car details on alloywheelsdirect and you'll find all the factory-fit options; match up yours and it'll tell you whether you have a staggered fitment or not and also the correct tyre sizes.

Thanks all various tyre web sites and the fuel flap do point to two sizes (235/35 & 255/30 R19Y) so does anyone think it’s worth approaching the dealer? I forgot to mention it was approved used if that adds anything to the mix?

I notice on aloywheelsdirect that 2 designs of the factory fit AMG 19's listed for your C207 are in fact 'square', not staggered fitment, so your current tyre fit could indeed be correct.

Thanks all various tyre web sites and the fuel flap do point to two sizes (235/35 & 255/30 R19Y) so does anyone think it’s worth approaching the dealer? I forgot to mention it was approved used if that adds anything to the mix?
Tyre/wheel websites and the handbook/fuel flap will list all the options your model could come with.
The only certain way is to measure the rim width, should be possible without taking the wheels off, at least close enough to determine if they are the same or staggered.

I notice on aloywheelsdirect that 2 designs of the factory fit AMG 19's listed for your C207 are in fact 'square', not staggered fitment, so your current tyre fit could indeed be correct.
That’s interesting, I must admit I would be more than happy for them to all be the same the 235’s are a lot cheaper.

Tyre/wheel websites and the handbook/fuel flap will list all the options your model could come with.
The only certain way is to measure the rim width, should be possible without taking the wheels off, at least close enough to determine if they are the same or staggered.
Thanks I will try and measure them, but I have a feeling they will be the same size, because one website listed all the rims being the same but different tyre sizes, but I will see what I come up with. Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom