WTB: AMG OZ 3 Piece

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mat500E

Car
92' W124 500E
Hi,

I'm after a set of AMG OZ 3 Piece rims for my 500E.

I'm located in Lndon,

Let me know if you guys have any for sale!

Cheers,
Mat

Mabz, if you look at that listing again, the seller has put up pictures of some welding he has had done to the inner part of the wheels... Would the state of this concern you?

Dee

Mabz, if you look at that listing again, the seller has put up pictures of some welding he has had done to the inner part of the wheels... Would the state of this concern you?

Dee

Whoa didn't check the ad pretty nasty unroadworthy repairs, just sent the link over without looking. But really these days the money's in the centre's, if there all good with no hairline cracks from the bore to the studs then there good to go. Lips and barrels can be replaced.

Trouble is, I assume its sometimes impossible to see the hairline cracks on the faces unless the paint or powdercoat has been chemically stripped... am i right?

In which case it would easily be very possible to get stitched up with a set of these....

Trouble is, I assume its sometimes impossible to see the hairline cracks on the faces unless the paint or powdercoat has been chemically stripped... am i right?

In which case it would easily be very possible to get stitched up with a set of these....

You are correct. Lepsons would be worth telephone call. They used to? refurb these and had all the bolts etc to split and rebuild them. However, I suspect that they will want to have them sat in front them to give any judgement.

On a painted finish the crack will show. Powdercoat is a little better at hiding it. Also there should be less finish coat in the centrebore so it will be easier to see there.

Ironically, the biggest risk lies with freshly refinished wheels (which won't have been refitted and run), where you can cover over to hide the crack.

Last edited:
pretty sure they crack due to being over tightened with the guns that the garages use. these rims are to be tightened by hand. someone on here had half the centre split completely which is a pretty scary thought. was it you doodle? cant remember

definitely have to be careful, that's why before and after pics always help, they are visible if you look close but to the untrained eye it would be easy to get caught out unfortunately which is a shame as they aren't cheap rims so you wouldn't want to get burnt on a set. one of my r129's I had came with a set and only 1 rim had 1 crack so wasn't too bad to replace.

pretty sure they crack due to being over tightened with the guns that the garages use. these rims are to be tightened by hand. someone on here had half the centre split completely which is a pretty scary thought. was it you doodle? cant remember

No, that was Spike, the flange that supports the 2 rim halves cracked and separated from the centre. Scary, but very rare at the same time.

The centrebore cracks are far less catastrophic. I would wager there are more than a few sets out there that were driven on for years before anyone noticed.

These cracks can be welded, I had a pair of fronts done professionally about 5 years ago that I run for everyday use (I have others that are uncracked, which I keep stored unused).

Last edited:
FYI: When I had a genuine AMG rim crack repaired by Lepsons, I asked if I could watch.

The process is, in itself scary. They hacksaw the crack out. This (I was told) stops it spreading when filled with weld. When completed it was not that pretty. But as it was on the inner lip, it was not visible. True to their word, the wheel remained good, despite needing straightening (again by Lepsons) after I hit massive pothole a couple of years later. The weld was still intact and no evidence of any spread.

So it may not look pretty? But if its a good job and not visible then it should not compromise the wheels integrity.

I been offered a set for a fair price with the centre bore cracks on two of the faces...

And then there is this set with the damaged barrel?

Which are the more viable option guys?

PS: sorry for hijacking OP's wanted thread!

If they're otherwise ok, damaged barrel is the cheaper/easier fix. Welding the centre cracks comes in at around £170-£200 for the pair, then refinishing costs on top

Last edited:
I would say the ones in the eBay link are overpriced given there condition but rarity is bringing the prices up, personally I would go with the other set at a better price then you have a blank canvas to make your own. I'm sure voodoo motorsport will weld them up fine ( check there gallery ) not that I've used them but they look to know what they do. And afterwards your gonna have a set of mint rims

The other set are coming in cheaper than the set on ebay..

I will check Voodoo out in the meantime..

Thanks guys

Wow.. Cheers Mabz..

Those are absolutely stunning and fit the bill perfectly...

Might be worth trying to get these for a more reasonable amount... the others will end up being a similar price after all the faffing about and even then they will be a repaired set...

I will keep an eye on this listing before i go in with a offer, just to see if he does any price drops, which usually indicates to someone who's keen to sell...

Will keep you posted...

If your on about the valve stem being directly opposite to the AMG logo...

Thats not a deal breaker for me... cracks and dents are more of a worry..

At the moment, the price alone is a deal breaker lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom