WTF! Im afraid to ask....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The car will not go past 4k in N or P so its OK:D:D

I thought the O-p meant that even if the car revs higher the rev counter is stopping at 4,000 rpm.

Assuming you are correct that means the EHA is working...

I thought the O-p meant that even if the car revs higher the rev counter is stopping at 4,000 rpm.

I read it 6 times before posting, and came to the conclusion that the car cant go over 4k and it was just a coincidence.

Thank you for helping out again, you are better than me at this :):)

I'm not sure the KE Jetronic has the rev safety feature when in neutural.

It needs trying whilst moving to be sure, unless Crammy (creamy ;)) knows it used to rev higher before.

I'm not sure the KE Jetronic has the rev safety feature when in neutural.

It needs trying whilst moving to be sure, unless Crammy (creamy ;)) knows it used to rev higher before.

This has not changed even to this day, the manual cars may not have this feature

What I meant was, Did they have this feature on Ke Jetronic.?

I only revved it in park, I shall try this eveing /the weekend to rev passed that and see what happens. I think that the revs went above 4000 but just the gauge stuck at 4000rpm ( and initially didnt move down ), but I didnt give it the full beans as It was 9.45p.m and I didnt want to wake the kids!.

So do I understand correclty that if the actual revs ( rather than just the gauge) will not go above 4000 in park or Neutral then thats a firm indication that the EHA is actually working? if so thats great news as it means I can A) save a few quid and B) get to work looking closely at the vacuum pipes and mechanical stuff as per your post in the other thread.

Cheers
Simon

So do I understand correclty that if the actual revs ( rather than just the gauge) will not go above 4000 in park or Neutral then thats a firm indication that the EHA is actually working?

Yes, beacuse the EHA acts as fuel shutoff in switch off conditions, over-run and over rev conditions.

The only point I would make is that if it stopped the revs at 4,000 in neutural the engine would judder like hell as the fuel switched off and on again, so I'm not sure.
Try it underway right into the red line section to see.

It's only a solenoid valve so a good cleanout with carb cleaner/fuel treatment may work wonders if it's sticky.

On over-run you might just be able to feel the fuel come back on at 1000 rpm if you lock the gearbox into a lower gear.

Try it underway right into the red line section to see.

On over-run you might just be able to feel the fuel come back on at 1000 rpm if you lock the gearbox into a lower gear.

Not sure what you mean sorry :eek: . Do you mean leave it in neutral and rev it as far as it will go? or do you mean I should drive it locked into 2nd or 3rd gear? Sorry..

Drive it until it revs into the red line and it should cut the power.

So if the EHA is working correctly then you would expect that when I try and drive it above 4k revs in say 2nd gear, the EHA should shut off the fuel and so the revs drop. If this happens then the EHA is working.

However, if the car actually continues to drive above 4000 revs the the EHA is faulty.

Is that right?

No.
Drive the engine right into the red line and it should cut the fuel to limit the revs.

The 4,000 limit is for when in Neutural or park only, though I'm not convinced yours does this.

Thanks understood, I shall report back once ive tried this. thanks again!

Ok I took the car out this evening put locked it into 3rd and then took it to 4000 revs, the clock stopped at 4000 but the car was clearly continuing to accelerate. I did the same in 2nd, same result. I then went onto the A2 and put it in D and again, the rev limiter stopped at 4000 but the engine continued to rev. 4000 in D equates to about 75 mph so once I got to 110 I stopped.

Also I reve the car in neutral and again whilst the clock stopped at 4000 the engine continued to rev.

So conlcusions? looks like the rev counter is misfunctioning, fair enough, I rarely go above 80/90 anyway.

Does this say anything at all about the EHA or does this juts tell me that A0 the rev counters bust and B) My car doesnt have the feature that stops the car from revving above 4000 in N and P!.

Cheers

No rev limit in N and we don't know about the EHA as it didn't get to the point of restricting the revs, or maybe it did but you didn't know.

Personally I don't think it's the EHA, but try some cleaner as a safeguard.

Last edited:
Thanks Dieselman, Clearly I need to do some basic work and have a good cleanup and so on of the related parts. I know there was some oil leeking into the engine bay when I bought the car and its not a leap to assume that some of it is where is shouldnt be, and could be part of the cause here. I good stripdown and cleanup is required!.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom