Wwwwwwwwwww

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gilbey

Car
E AMG NIGHT ADDITION
What's with all the "W's"..

Everyone keeps referring to W this and W that.. What's it all about?

W stands for Wagen, German for saloon, tends to get used irrespective of body style. The 3 numbers that follow arev the model series, 204 (C class), 211 etc

There's also, S for station wagen, (estate). R for roadster, C for coupe ...

What's with all the "W's"..

Everyone keeps referring to W this and W that.. What's it all about?

As mentioned they are the codes that Mercedes use to refer to different models. They are used here so people know which specific car is being discussed. For example the E Class has been going for over 20 years and there have been 5 different versions so far:

W124
W210
W211
W212
W213

Saying you have an "E320" isn't specific enough - that could be a W124, W210 or W211. An "E500" could be a W124, W211 or W212. Etc.

Look on a BMW or Audi forum and you will see the same sort of thing (e.g. "BMW 316" and "Audi A4" have both been used on many different versions).

It's also useful to know when you're looking at parts, because parts that are unique to one model start with that number.

(Is that right, or have I got myself confused?)

It's also useful to know when you're looking at parts, because parts that are unique to one model start with that number.

Not necessarily.

part number is from the model that first used that part but it may subsequently be used on many other models, retaining the original part number

part number is from the model that first used that part but it may subsequently be used on many other models, retaining the original part number

Not necessarily either - I have numerous parts beginning with 115 that were only ever used on W114s, as an example.

The windscreen washer reservoir lid on the W639 Vito/Viano has a W124 part number on it!

Ahh, the CLS only has two numbers. 219 and 218. Guess which is the latest version?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom