Wynns Forte or Millers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stratman

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C200 CDI '04Estate
My C200 cdi failed its MOT on a broken spring and ARB drop links, all done now and awaiting retest tomorrow. The tester also mentioned the emissions 'only scraped through' (turbo smoke 2.54, limit 3.00), which is understandable as traffic on the way to the test didn't permit the traditional pre MOT Italian tune up.

Given the car has done 125+ thousand miles there's probably a bit of gum and varnish in, on and around the injectors, so a bottle of cleaner can't do any harm (or can it?). I see all the above potions claim to right all wrongs and cure all ills, so which should I use to magically counteract the effects of mainly short journeys?

I have been using Forte products for donkeys years now. Do they work ? never had any problems with so I reckon they must do some good.

If your smoke is down to worn turbo bearing oil seals then its unlikely forte/millers is going to do anything . For gummed up rather than worn injectors maybe worth a try?

Forté products are good, can’t hurt. :thumb: Have used them in my S211 and it flew through the emissions testing.

The point is that a tiny amount of some cleanser diluted in 60 litres of fuel will make a tiny amount of difference. Years ago, I lent my turbodiesel BX to a chap who returned it filled with JetA1. It was hard to start and sluggish when it did but it was 64 litres of free juice so I spent the next fortnight burning as much of it as I could before putting some proper DERV in it. Only to find that it then returned 8 MPG more than it had previously done.
If it wasn't illegal, I'd get the boys at the airfield to fill me a jerrycan and see what it would do to a 220 CDI but it is, so I won't.

It's a W20...?

What does the VIN sticker manufacturers smoke coefficient value say ?

The failure notice mentioned something like 'manufacturer's label not visible' or words to that effect. Where would it be, should there be one? The car is a W203, as per sidebar.

I've used Millers for years ... Still do at every fill-up.
I've used it in two E300TDs and the E280 CDI Sports Estate.
Also in a couple of diesels other than MB.
I've never had an MOT come even close to failing on emissions.
Both the E300TDs had approx. 230,000 miles when they died in accident write-offs.
The E280 now has 170,000 on the clock and has just sailed thru another MOT ...... as I would have expected.
I've used Millers petrol additive in an E430 (W210) and other petrol engine cars.
Again - Never any problems.

Forte products do seem to be the best at the moment, have a mate who has a car parts shop. he swears by them and since he is older than Gods dog over the years he has seen a lot of products.

I’ve been using forte products professionally for over 20 years. No doubt in my mind they do what they say. Only thing I’d say is don’t expect instant results if trying to restore the spray pattern on injectors petrol or diesel and be prepared to use the product over two or three half tankfuls. Avoiding cheap fuels also helps. It’s all in the additive package that the big names add to their fuel that the ‘budget’ brands may not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom