x pipe and sec cats delete in Yorkshire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ice643

hi
iam wanting o do x pipe and sec xats delete on my e55,any good places in Yorkshire and also what kind of cost am i looking at.
Thanks

Hi

We are based in Birmingham

Cost will be around £400

thanks

acid

hi
iam wanting o do x pipe and sec xats delete on my e55,any good places in Yorkshire and also what kind of cost am i looking at.
Thanks

Personally I'd make the trip to Acid but if you dont want to travel ExhaustsUK in Sheffield have done a few members car on here, good but not cheap :thumb:

The guys at the Leeds branch of Longlife will do this - Longlife Stainless Steel Exhausts Dealer Locator

Unit 6 Lakeside Industrial Estate,
Lakeside,
Tong Road,
Leeds
LS12 4QP
Tel: 01132 089 830

I've used them before - very impressive (& lifetime guarantee)

These guys have just quoted me a stainless exhaust for my CLK which is half the price of everyone else for a very similar spec so I'm wondering if there is a catch. If you have used them I'd love to know what you had done and the quality and time it took them to do it. Cheers

Have been doing exactly this today on my E55, albeit a little closer to me than Yorkshire unfortunatly, company based in St Albans, had the whole system from my Kleemann (prim cats gone) header flanges removed, and they rebuilt the whole system from that point in 76mm SS, mandrel formed, and lots of welding, reinstalling X pipe and secondary 200 cell sports cats, (I appreciate OP is wanting to delete secondary's but for me I did not want the emission issue's), they also repositioned my original OEM back boxes and refitted. Then drove 2.5Hours home down the M25 and M23, no drone noise, which was a potential worry, so that is a good result, as for the rest, not made my mind up regards grunting noise and power gain wise, albeit will be minor at best, really need to get it on track and see what's going on, this said it did seem to rev a little more freely, but that could be me dreaming or wishful thinking:thumb:.
The other comment I have, is these guys today were very neat in their work, all the welds are fantastic, and they even polished the whole system down after they invited me to inspect it all for my approval before I paid the bill. Its been a long day, got up at 4AM and got home at 11.15PM, was it worth it, am 50/50 at the moment, just need to test out how the cars running and if there is a power gain, and what noise I have when the power is put down, if there is, think my time and money well spent.

hi
Thanks

Where abouts in Yorkshire are you?

Im in Bradford and im getting my cats removed and an x-pipe done. Going to MSL in Birmingham (second post) to have it done there as part of a group buy.

Its not the first time iv been down there for work and i dont think it will be the last time either. Seen some of their exhaust work on other AMG cars and was quite impressed by it.

Where abouts in Yorkshire are you?

Im in Bradford and im getting my cats removed and an x-pipe done. Going to MSL in Birmingham (second post) to have it done there as part of a group buy.

Its not the first time iv been down there for work and i dont think it will be the last time either. Seen some of their exhaust work on other AMG cars and was quite impressed by it.

Hi there is the group buy still available?

thanks

Had my sec cats and resonator deleted , It was done by Tony Banks in Leedsinstead of putting a x pipe they put straight pipes on, there is a bit of a drown noise.Is there a difference between a xpipe and straight pipes because i might take it back to them .
Thanks

I had exactly the same as you on my e55...you should have a 'H' section balancing pipe in to balance the sound (aprox sec cat location)....I do not have any 'drone' atall, should sound really nice when you open up...

attached pic of my balancing pipe, you should have similar set-up...

Attachments

• IMG01147-20121026-1654.jpg
    IMG01147-20121026-1654.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 40
iam sure there is no balancer pipe just 2 pipes to the backbox, iam not tool peased i did tell him to put a x pipe on .

If you asked for an X pipe then that's what they should have done. If they decided not to do this then they should have asked you if this was ok before proceeding. Go back and ask exactly what they have done and why.

The desired system as per your original post is to have the secondary cats removed and replaced with an X Pipe, next is the removal of the resonator (centre box) which is replaced with 2 straight pipes. Consideration needs to be given to pipe diameter so that it matches that of the original system (so many are done with smaller diameter), plus the X pipe benefits from maintaining bore size as much as possible (many appear squashed at the point the X crosses).

If they have only fitted straight pipes then it may be that they have left the balance pipe in place, this is situated directly in from of the secondary cats (similar to that in DSB's pic), this should be ok although straight pipes all the way through can result in droning or "boominess". If when removing the secondary cats they have also removed the balance pipe, then I would insist they either make and install an X Pipe, or they need to remove the 2 straight through pipes and then link them where the cats were. This essentially creates what is known as an H pipe. Basically, this involves cutting a hole in both straight through pipes and joining them with same diameter link pipe.

From a cost perspective what you've had done should be cheap compared to having an X Pipe made up. Would be interested to know what you paid.

Jules

^^ Depends on what 55 this is.

Quad pipe balance is needed due to left and right pulsing - on single duals (210) not necc needed.

^^ Depends on what 55 this is.

Quad pipe balance is needed due to left and right pulsing - on single duals (210) not necc needed.

:thumb:
Good point and not sure which 55 in this case, but my reply still stands though for any 55 with 2x twin exit systems.

To the OP, ignore my previous post to a degree as I thought you had a w211 model.

Jules.

so the straight pipes are ok,will they not reduce back pressure.How would i get rid of the droning and boominess.
Thanks

Please confirm what car you have...

so the straight pipes are ok,will they not reduce back pressure.How would i get rid of the droning and boominess.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom