X164 Rear Entertainment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndrewOl

Car
E350 A207
Hi,

Just bought a 2006 GL with an aftermarket DVD multi disc and rear head rest monitors.

DVD unit by Veba but no remote. Tried good local ICE shop who got a remote but no joy. Unit loads but that's it.

Decided to try a non DVD solution without spending lots, as I'm not sure how much value we will get out of it. Took out DVD which was mounted in first aid box and remains of Philips headphone system. Audio was via a FM transmitter and video all seemed ok to both display units. Directed displays would have had a remote originally but I don't think you need them.

Decided to use a micro media player from Maplin and upload video via usb or sdhc card. Unit is controlled via ir remote so I mounted it under the rear seat facing forward, pointing at the rear center console. Remote is a bit picky but seems to work ok.

Like most of these systems the wiring is all under the rear passengers side seat. The video and audio connections were there along with a 12V supply. The Maplin box comes with a 240V power supply but the unit itself is powered by 5V. It was easy enough to install a USB socket under the seat and then convert the power supply lead to a USB rather than a 240V supply. Just needed to cut a USB lead and solder onto the Maplin unit power supply lead.

All seems to work ok and it is easy enough downloading videos to the sdhc card.

All up cost less than £50.

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom