X218 steering wheel buttons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BIG_G_1979

Car
E280 CDI SPORT
Hi guys so finally sourced a new button assembly for my steering wheel as the hang up button has worn away, does anyone know how to fit? I'm guessing it's a airbag removal job, if so anyone know how to remove the airbag from steering wheel?
9e1eb4fd12142503d9ba72ce4973d71c.jpg
d7798648a5d4fa6c01074ddd46993327.jpg
1e09249010aef14d6b14689f1274b86f.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Usually two deeply recessed torx behind the steering wheel. You probably need to pull the wheel as far forward as possible.
Ensure ignition is off and key out, well away from the car.

Usually two deeply recessed torx behind the steering wheel. You probably need to pull the wheel as far forward as possible.
Ensure ignition is off and key out, well away from the car.
Great mate thanks [emoji106] no need to disconnect battery? I think once I get airbag out far enough I'll be able to unscrew the silver metal moulding then the button afterwards

I made a video ages ago on my channel for previous gen CLS. I should do one on the W218 really.

It's basically same method. Disconnect battery and leave it at least 15mins to fully discharge before going near an airbag.

I made a video ages ago on my channel for previous gen CLS. I should do one on the W218 really.

It's basically same method. Disconnect battery and leave it at least 15mins to fully discharge before going near an airbag.
Excellent killer Hertz - I assume no codes etc is needed for radios and command units etc once I reconnect

Top Tip. Make 100% sure you can get access to the two Torx screws from behind the steering wheel (and remove them) before you remove the ignition key and disconnect the battery. If you do not you will have to re connect the battery and turn the ignition to get the wheel to turn. depending on which tools you are using,T bar etc.

On my W203 C class it was wheel at max extension (towards driver) in lower position and wheel at about 'two o'clock' Mine has motorised wheel position , if yours is manual the only thing to 'worry' about is the radial position once the steering locks. :thumb:

Yep whatever you do, don't mess up the alignment of the clock spring. V expensive bill if you do.

Oh? What is this and what do I need to do I don't understand? Clock spring will this pop out once I remove airbag?

If you need the car, I'd wait until all the garages are open and parts still available. Just incase of the worse.

Clock spring mech basically tells the car what position it's in/allows buttons to work at any angle etc etc (simplified version).
Just don't move anything around on the column at all once it's off. (I've made this mistake myself before)

If you need the car, I'd wait until all the garages are open and parts still available. Just incase of the worse.

Clock spring mech basically tells the car what position it's in etc etc (simplified version).
Just don't move anything around on the column at all once it's off. (I've made this mistake myself before)
Ah ok so it's something to tell car what position the steering wheel is in? So once airbag module is off don't move the wheel. I think once I have airbag out it's s matter of a few screws to swap the button assembly out - thanks for the heads up tho - much appreciated

Clock spring only a concern if one removes the wheel? Airbag comes away first, shouldn't need to take wheel off?

OP, are you changing the left hand 'OK 4 way' button part at the same time ? if not the difference between old and new will bug the hell out of you, and they might even light up slightly differently at night.

Just a thought.

OP, are you changing the left hand 'OK 4 way' button part at the same time ? if not the difference between old and new will bug the hell out of you, and they might even light up slightly differently at night.

Just a thought.
Hi Pete no just the right hand telephone side the other side looks remarkably clean and good condition but will compare once fitted fingers crossed they'll be the same

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom