X218 Tailgate stuck closed CLS Shooting Brake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gipsyracer

Car
2007 E280 Avantgarde Estate
Extensive online searching hasn't revealed a solution to this one, so all advice gratefully received...

My 2016 CLS shooting brake tailgate is stuck in the closed position, but not fully closed, the mechanism has not pulled it down to the second stage closing and it will not latch by pushing down manually. As far as I can see, there is nothing jammed in the tailgate to stop it moving to the final position. And it won't open, either.

I'm confident that I will be able to diagnose the fault, once I've got the hatch open. Trouble is, it is stuck closed so you can't get at anything to check it. I've prised the trim panel open so I can stick a torch in to see what is going on with the aid of an assistant on the outside of the car.

Operating the tailgate release button near the number plate, I can hear a click as the solenoid actuates, but nothing can be seen moving near the latch mechanism, even if the hatch is held closed to take the pressure off the mechanism.

The tailgate motor operate, but just strains against the hinges.

How can I release the latch, to open the tailgate?

Its still stuck closed. Any ideas, chaps?

Sorry to hear this as I also have a Shooting Brake.
All I could offer is that you give the tailgate a good pull and push while at the same time an assistant either operates the key fob or the tailgate switch on the drivers door.
Be careful not to cause any bodywork damage though.
My thinking is that the mechanism may be lacking in lubrication and simply jammed.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Just in case anyone is searching this problem in the future, the bad news is that I had to hacksaw off the trim in order to gain sufficient access to actuate the release mechanism, which had stuck part way through the cycle. A squirt of WD40 and a good wiggle, it is working fine again. Now looking for a good used lower trim.....

Good to hear you have at least managed to get the tailgate open.
It may be worth noting that WD 40 does not last very long as a lubricant.
Best to wash out all the dirt and old lubricant then apply some fresh light grease to the mechanism. I use a light spray on grease for applications like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom