X3 Wanted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wizeng

Car
W203 220CDI A/G Sport Est
I am looking for an X3 2007/2008 2.0L diesel but they seem as rare as hens teeth, anyone seen one for sale within 75 miles of Peterborough. (I can't get an ML up my drive)

Nobody seen one then?

There are few uglier cars (IMO of course) which may explain why you can't find one.

Not one of Beemers better offerings :(.

To widen the drive I would need to move the house:mad:

Also SWMBO wants Blue with cream leather.:confused:

? how much narrower is it?

If you cannot get a ML up it then even a x3 will be tight? that must be a narrow drive?

I think you need to widen your search 75 mile is nothing to find the right car. Do a nation wide search.

Its a good engine but wanting one in a certain colour etc also doesn't help.

I work for a BMW dealer (although in Edinburgh) if you would buy a car blind let be know your requirements and I'll help. Never seen many with light leather though

Frankly December is not really the best month to buy a 4x4 . :doh: A Convertible on the other hand can be a bargain--- not that you are looking for one of course.:eek:

We will be selling ours in a few weeks now that we have the C220. It's been used by my wife (BA Cabin Crew) to commute to Heathrow from the Peak district. Never missed a beat and excellent in the snow. Its a 2.0D SE on a Dec '06 registration but is the 2007 model year (so facelift, improved interior, suspension etc).
Some info here which give a good basic timeline of our ownership:
BMW: New X3 Owner! • X1, X3, X5 & X6 Series BMW Forum • BMWLand: BMW Forums
Has quite a few options (inc black leather interior, factory bluetooth etc).

Would love to keep it but we only need one 'car' in the family as we have other transport and I run/commute to work.

I've tried sending you a pm but it won't go. Let me know if you are interested and I'll give you more info.

Frankly December is not really the best month to buy a 4x4 . :doh: A Convertible on the other hand can be a bargain--- not that you are looking for one of course.:eek:
The trouble is that I also tow a caravan & that means they are dear in the spring, summer and autumn:)

The trouble is that I also tow a caravan & that means they are dear in the spring, summer and autumn:)

Try finding one with the westfalia detachable towbar with the optional BMW lead fitted. The westfalia is OE equipment so the best choice and the lead ensures that TSC (trailer stability control) works and that the rear parking sensors are off when hitched up. TSC sounds gimmicky, but its a clever system and you would appreciate it in strong crosswinds! ;)

Worst case scenario you can get a westfalia fitted through a good fitter for about £550 all in. BMW charge twice that for the same thing!
Oh, and the 2.0d SE version has the clip out/in piece in the rear bumper to fit the towbar. The 'Sport' does not and requires the bumper cutting.

If you look on the official BMW used car finder any cars will come with 12 months full BMW warranty. Worth a haggle if you see one you like as you would then get the option to take BMW extended warranty as BMW supplied cars (second hand) meet the required criteria if you wanted peace of mind. The X3 doesn't have many known faults but on high milers turbos can occasionally go. The 'swirl flap' issue with the 3 series 2.0d engine is yet to be reported on any X3's, but swirl were modified after 2005 anyway.

Make sure you know what spec you want as when they facelifted (2007 model year) the changes are well worth having and paying more for.
In 2008/09 they introduced 'Efficient Dynamics' which reduced emissions and increased bhp from 150 to 170. Many dealers get specs mixed up when advertsing so double check asking for confirmation on bhp and emissions. The ED models are identical to look at (inside and out) so there are no real visible differences to tell a facelifted 150bhp and 177bhp(ED) X3 apart.

The only thing to pay particular attention to is what tyres are fitted. They should be BMW approved (star on the sidewall) as non approved can cause issues with the transfer box. Like Freelanders etc. that use electronic systems to shift power around the wheels the tyres can *sometimes* cause problems if they are mis matched or out of spec. This usually manifests itself with a clunk when changing from first to second gear. The 2.0d SE runs on 17" anyway, which are not badly priced and are ideal for snow/ice. We paid £150 a corner for Pirellis earlier this year which I was happy with as they are very durable and last a long time. Cheaper tyres or mixed tyres would indicate cost cutting as this is common knowledge amongst dealers, owners etc.

And why a 2.0?

The real world difference between the 2.0 and 3.0 is around 3mpg, 32ish on a 3.0 and 35ish on a 2.0.

The 3.0 is often far better specced and nearly as cheap, as everyone thinks the 2 will give 25% better economy. It won't.

And why a 2.0?
The real world difference between the 2.0 and 3.0 is around 3mpg, 32ish on a 3.0 and 35ish on a 2.0.
The 3.0 is often far better specced and nearly as cheap, as everyone thinks the 2 will give 25% better economy. It won't.

Ours (now sold) was 38mpg average (2.0D 150bhp) with us seeing mid 40's on journeys - without considering economy. We never had a tank as low as 35mpg.
So our mpg average was 20% over the 32mpg figures you refer to for the 3.0.
Our figures were tank to tank measured (not just OBC, although it was proved accurate).

The later 2.0D 177bhp ED should be slightly better so that gap could possibly widen a little.

If you get 38mpg average you will see 35mpg in a 3 litre, I can promise you that.

I am also talking autos here, manuals I would expect around 5mpg more from the pre Efficient Dynamics and about the same from the post ED cars.

I have had 6 cars with the 2 litre lump in them and 3 with the 3 litre lump in them, the 3 litre lump always impresses mpg wise, where as the 2 litre lump always seems to disappoint somewhat. Not saying it is bad by any means, just that I manage to get pretty close to the combined figure on the 3 litre but rarely much above the urban figure for the 2 litre.

It doesn't stop me buying them though, still great engines, just bought a BMW X1 with the 2 litre in it, however I bought the manual 18d sDrive as it was my first company car for 10 years so wanted the low BIK Tax rate, but would have been far better to have bought the 20d auto for economy reasons, better gearing and thus better mpg for where I drive.
I only get 44mpg average from the X1, sit at 80mph on the motorway and it is still around 45mpg, where as sitting at 80 in the 20d sees closer to 55mpg.

All I am saying is this, I do around 40,000 miles a year, and the consumptions between the 320d and 330d I had was nothing certainly not worth buying one over the other for, same with going to the 530d, dropped about 1mpg from the 330d, then had the MY08 320d sport touring auto and that jumped up 5mpg from the 120d auto we had, but then going to a 330d auto the drop was nothing, 2-3mpg at most and in some areas it actually did better, 85mph cruising.

40,000 miles a year even at 32 vs 38 mpg is only £19 a week.
However at 35 vs 38 it is £10 a week.

Only do 20,000 miles a year and you are down to £5 a week.

10,000 miles a year and it becomes a non issue, find somewhere that does it at £1.40 a litre instead of £1.43. ;)

Take them both out and buy the one you like or is the best deal I say.

Let me just add, the road tax is more of an issue imho, I hate the higher tax bands, for some reason it really grates me. That alone may be a reason to go with the 2litre.

If you get 38mpg average you will see 35mpg in a 3 litre, I can promise you that.

Wow, those goalposts moved a long way to suit your point! ;)

I am also talking autos here, manuals I would expect around 5mpg more from the pre Efficient Dynamics and about the same from the post ED cars. .

The 2 litre isn't worth entertaining in auto imho. It drives much better as a manual which is reflected in the number of X3 2.0D autos about.

Completely agree on the roadtax. Thats something I don't like paying large amounts for out of principle despite the fact that over the year it isn't a significant cost.

Wow, those goalposts moved a long way to suit your point! ;)

Huh??

Not at all, I said that I get 35mpg, however if your driving means you get 38mpg then expect 3mpg more from the 3 litre than me as well.
Some people get nearly 40mpg from the 3 litre where as others get high 20's from the 2 litre, you can only compare with yourself.

The 2 litre isn't worth entertaining in auto imho. It drives much better as a manual which is reflected in the number of X3 2.0D autos about.

That is absolute nonsense imho, the auto suits the 2 litre diesel perfectly, far better than the manual, the manual is an absolute ball ache as the rev range is so small, you have from 1800rpm to around 3800rpm with really useful power, and from 1800 to around 3000rpm if you are not caning it, which means you are constantly swapping cogs, it makes anything but long motorway runs pretty tough going.
The auto takes all that away and makes it a complete joy to drive.

This is my first manual on a diesel for years, and I hate it!
So much so that I have it advertised and will buy another auto version.

I can see the point of a manual in a Porsche, sort of see it in an M3, but in a 4x4??!!
"I like to feel in control" is all I ever hear from the 'stick shift' boys. Well how about keeping your hands on the wheel then?!! :p

Completely agree on the roadtax. Thats something I don't like paying large amounts for out of principle despite the fact that over the year it isn't a significant cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom