Xenon bulb gone purple!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pachanga 231

Car
E280 cdi sport 2007
W211 2003
One of the bulbs seems to have gone purple suddenly, is it gone?
Cheapest place for a replacement pleas...

I used to get mine off amazon.....never had any problems, even with a cheap set.

Mark

They go pink/purple when on the way out.

I'd get a quality set. It's an arc lamp, not a cheap halogen bulb. I'd fear buying cheap might mean I'd end up buying twice. :dk:

You only need to replace the one that's changed colour. That's the one that's failing.

They go pink/purple when on the way out.

I'd get a quality set. It's an arc lamp, not a cheap halogen bulb. I'd fear buying cheap might mean I'd end up buying twice. :dk:

You only need to replace the one that's changed colour. That's the one that's failing.

So will this off ebay be good enough and correct fitment etc.
Also my lens cover is very hazy and am hoping to get this sorted to increase nightime light currently very poor don't know of this is due to haziness or bulb power being low?
Was always thinking of putting in higher rating bulbs to get more light, if that's possible might be the right time.......

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321979261523

One needs replacing but I'd change both for piece of mind, both would've been installed at the same time so if one side goes then you'd be unlucky two weeks down the line when the other original one goes and you only bought the 1 bulb!

Autobulbs website is a good start, type your reg in and select the sub category for your car, then cross reference with other sites to compare prices

That's expensive if you just want unbranded bulbs

The haziness will be causing the light to scatter in lots of directions other than where it's supposed to be going, like a diffuser on a camera's flash.

You can polish them up again with cutting compound and a MOP, or have someone do it, but that'll allow the right pattern of light to fire out of them again.

Personally I wouldn't buy cheap ones, but that's your choice. :thumb:

Hi,
I bought the cheap ones I replaced mine one my C43 I had to replace them again a year later.
I bought my CLS55 and wasn't particularly impressed with the Bi-xenons, I replaced them with a decent pair I got Osram bought as a pair from Amazon.
They should be replaced as a pair as the light they produce changes over time.

If you have noticed a change in colour and it bothers you deffinatley change the pair, fit just one and you will see a big difference in colour, I bought a pair of osrams off eBay and they have been fine so far.

These seem correct.
Look at this on eBay Mercedes E Class W211 02-09 D1S Factory Xenon 12v AC 35w Bulbs 4 Colours x Pair | eBay

Also which bulb is it
D1
D2
??

I believe you should have D2S. The ones in your link are D1S. Easy to tell apart, the D1S has the box attached at the bottom, D2S does not.

D1S

XeSparQ-D1S-D2S.jpg

D2S

big_d2s-philips-hid-bulb_b0161974de5ee049db0ab7fbf4053a45.jpg

Cheap D2S with 1 year warranty
D2S ICE WHITE XENON HID LIGHT BULBS HEADLIGHT HEADLAMP 6000K 35W FACTORY FIT 2 | eBay

I believe you should have D2S. The ones in your link are D1S. Easy to tell apart, the D1S has the box attached at the bottom, D2S does not.

D1S

XeSparQ-D1S-D2S.jpg

D2S

big_d2s-philips-hid-bulb_b0161974de5ee049db0ab7fbf4053a45.jpg

Cheap D2S with 1 year warranty
D2S ICE WHITE XENON HID LIGHT BULBS HEADLIGHT HEADLAMP 6000K 35W FACTORY FIT 2 | eBay

I think you will find that the silver box is referred to as an ignitor and is removeable, the new Xenon lamp just plugs into it.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OEM-Hella...s-Benz&hash=item210d6bcbb1:g:7OQAAOSw1DtXD0Uj

Last edited:
For reference in future.
Current fitted were philips d2s (4300k) I believe.
I wanted to replace with 4300 and not anything higher as I heard that there's less light lumens output with higher K.
A pair of new osrams off ebay short of 40 delivered.
A quality bulb that hopefully won't have to be replaced for a long time.
Will be a pain to fit I think.

Both fitted happy chapyy now. Hopefully wont need to repeat this again.
Thanks all for advice

Quite disappointed that with new quality bulbs Philips brand and having the headlight lens polished the brightness is still quite poor at night.

I've always thought if it's possible to put a higher output bulb in with the standard ballast but decided against this hoping new bulbs would solve the problem.

Would jumping from standard 4300k bulb to say 5 or 6k give more light output. Anyone tried this

The kelvin rating denotes the colour temperature. It'll appear whiter, and should be easier to see things, but won't output more light.

It's worth saying, halogen bulbs with a k number higher than 4200 aren't road legal, and the higher up it goes the worse it looks from a bystander/passer by point of view

Saw a Peugeot tonight as I arrived home from work approaching me at an angle, slight blue lights I though 'hmm they look decent' then it turned in my direction... still bright blue and glaring as hell. My opinion went from intrigued to 'sh*te' within a second

Projectors anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom