Xenon bulbs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model 3 LR, Model X /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
one of mine was gone pink,

I guess there are D2S (e class 211)

Are we supposed to replace in pairs? And what K temp are the OEM ones?
Has anyone got any recommendations on where to buy them at a reasonable cost

Thanks

No need to replace in pairs. The other could have years left in it yet, it’s unlikely it was replaced in pairs the last time!

The drivers side is a real pain to change, I left lots of skin when I did mine after it failed.
I bought a pair of D2S 4300k cheap bulbs off of EBAY, about a tenner, just for test purposes. After I had fitted the bulb, still no light and I had to replace a ballast ... more expense. Did I want to remove the cheap bulb and replace it with a better quality, one losing more skin, ....computer says no! Cheap bulb still working fine 3 years on. Keep to the 4300k as standard.
I hope you have small hands.
Mercedes Newcastle ( Ebay ) want £95.04 for a single bulb !
Some fitting help for you.

DIY: Changing Xenon lightbulbs on W211 - MBWorld.org Forums

Steve

I just did the pair over the weekend after the passenger side had failed. Pair of bulbs off Amazon for £13 I was only going to fit one but the colours where off and drivers was slightly duller. So scraped knuckles wrist and lots of swearing latter both match, need not been out in the dark yet see the if they are any better than the old ones. If they fail I'll get similar again I'm not paying mb prices

what's the Kelvin rate on new xenons when they have bluish hue?
original rate is 4300 which I still have on my car since it was brand new 19 years ago.
I have new spare bulbs in box which are 6000K, are these white or bluish hue?

Okay bought a pair of Philips 4300k for £46 and had them both swapped so it’s one less thing to worry about for a while. :)

Thanks chaps

Abs,
If you "Had them Swapped " then that means you still have the skin left on your hands !!

Kowalski,
Here is a colour demonstration.... after 4300k you lose a lot of useful light, which is why Mercedes came up with that optimum choice.

HID Xenon Headlight Color Comparison

Haha yes Steve! and the chap who swapped them lost no skin in the process either :D

For the nsf he removed the coolant bottle, and the other side I’ve no clue how but he did it in seconds :p

Luckily for you I guess these bulbs almost never need to be changed

Did this delightful task this afternoon. Driving back from Wales last weekend decided that either my eyes were going or lights were giving up and sure enough one had gone very purple and dim

HID's (at least ones which do not have a stupidly high colour temperature) have an expected service life of 2,500 to 3,000 hours.

So ordered up Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited D2S lamps, £68.50 from Amazon for the pair. (

Nearside by far the easy bit: if you remove the screw holding the pressure bottle it just pulls up off two rubber grommets and can be moved aside

View media item 7629
After removing cover, this is what you are staring at

View media item 7627
Turn as indicated and comes off and connector is ejected in process (don't forget to put it back on....)

After that, it's just a bog standard spring clip arrangement

View media item 7628
Offside entirely doable, just more fiddly, especially reattaching the connector plug which is underneath the ballast because for some reason it is mounted the other way round from the nearside!

Pays to practise by putting the old lamps back in a few times.

Here is the comparison: old lamp on the left

View media item 7626
All done, work very well, no error messages and I am still alive and somewhat better off: my now not particularly user friendly local MB dealership quoted me just under £300 for doing this.

Out of interest, how long are people getting out of their HID bulbs?

I’ve had two cars with Xenon lights now and this one I’ve had for nearly 4 years and not seen a bulb go pink and need replacing yet!

Out of interest, how long are people getting out of their HID bulbs?

I’ve had two cars with Xenon lights now and this one I’ve had for nearly 4 years and not seen a bulb go pink and need replacing yet!

Depends on the lamp, the running hours and the number of switchings.

All HIDs lose output over time: some will drop down to 50% of their rated output by the end of their service life.

Mine were at least 10 years old!

Changed all both headlight bulbs and high beam bulbs this afternoon on the S211. I job I wasn't looking forward to but it was actually very straight-forward following Satch's instructions above. I disconnected the battery first and took it slowly - double checking everything as I went along.

Took about an hour to do all four bulbs - lost no skin, gained no bruises, so a result! Need to wait for nightfall to check them now. Garage had quoted me £100 labour plus bulbs....

I despair at manufactures at times. In my old Toyota Celica, I can honestly swap both headlight bulbs in minutes, just twist, pull out & replace. My neighbour use to own an Audi on which to replace a headlamp bulb involved the removal of the front bumper. Don't the guys that design cars know that replacing a headlamp bulb is often a user serviceable activity? Why do they often make it so dam difficult??

I despair at manufactures at times. In my old Toyota Celica, I can honestly swap both headlight bulbs in minutes, just twist, pull out & replace. My neighbour use to own an Audi on which to replace a headlamp bulb involved the removal of the front bumper. Don't the guys that design cars know that replacing a headlamp bulb is often a user serviceable activity? Why do they often make it so dam difficult??

Do not even mention Volvo. My old XC90 had two vertical spikes. Lifting them you could remove the entire headlight and can change whatever you wanted to. It was 2 mins to change a Xenon or anything else.

Do not even mention Volvo. My old XC90 had two vertical spikes. Lifting them you could remove the entire headlight and can change whatever you wanted to. It was 2 mins to change a Xenon or anything else.
OK, sshhh... let's not mention them...:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom