xenon light flickering

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

x332race

MB Enthusiast
One xenon headlight on my 2004 Clk (drivers side) keeps flickering on/off.

Is this symptomatic of incipient bulb failure or is it more typical of ballast failure?

Could be a loose connection...happened to me a week ago...bad earth.

This happens when car is stationery as well as moving.....unlikely to be a bad earth if stationery? (but will check)

Hi,
The symptom you are describing could be either the lamp or ballast, try to swap the lamp from one side to the other, and see if the fault follows.

Hi,
The symptom you are describing could be either the lamp or ballast, try to swap the lamp from one side to the other, and see if the fault follows.

I knew someone would say that!

Only problem is that getting to the back of the passenger light fitting can be a bit of a problem I understand?

you might find removing the airbox will give access more depends on what engine
you have

I had this on my clk55... It was the ballast... I had to drop the front bumper off in order to swap ballast over for diagnosis and also to replace... The complete light assembly is huge and the ballast bolts to the bottom of each unit.... I also found a replacement cheaply on line... Don't go to the dealer!!!

I had this on my clk55... It was the ballast... I had to drop the front bumper off in order to swap ballast over for diagnosis and also to replace... The complete light assembly is huge and the ballast bolts to the bottom of each unit.... I also found a replacement cheaply on line... Don't go to the dealer!!!

Does not sound easy to get to ballasts. don't think it can be the bulb as it seems to light up ok so suspect ballast or igniter.

I had a similar problem. IIRC the dealer changed the capsule and the ballast separately, and neither fixed it. It turned out to be the headlamp unit which is not covered under the MB Tier 1 warranty. They replaced it as a goodwill repair and problem fixed.

The headlamp unit was £1,000 plus fitting and VAT IIRC.

Found this old thread.

Gives info on how to replace bulb and ballast.

He seems to indicate that flashing light was due to imminent failure of the bulb and that the light went out completely after a short while when the ballast failed.

He got to the ballast by removing the linings to the wheel arches by the looks of things

Solved. It was the bulb. Got a pair of "cheapies" from eBay and has been ok since fitted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom