Xenon lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

foxy1305

Car
w211 320cdi sport
2008 eclass 320cdi sport. Just noticed that one of my headlights is dimmer than the other. It's lit with a pink hue. I thought with xenons they either fired up and worked at full intensity or failed totally. Any ideas?

They do/can fade. Check earths are clean first. It is recommended that you replace bulbs in pairs to ensure they are a matching pair.

whip out both bulbs and check they are the same, had that with a car i got where the last owner replaced one with a cheaper bulb and they were different colours.

Xenons go pink when they are on the way out.

Hand in pocket time I'm afraid

Agreed, the ones in my previous car started to go pink, they were about 4 years old and when replaced were a perfect bright white again.

Why is it that not all xenons have the same colour as each other ( even when working properly).

For example on Mercedes, Audi's and Volvos etc, the xenons have the cool white/blue/lilac colour. But I've noticed that the xenons on other manufacturers like Ford, Vauxhall and some BMWs are the warm white/yellow colour.

Is it like with halogens, where the colour of the glass sphere is different? Or is it a slightly different mixture of metallic salts inside?

Why is it that not all xenons have the same colour as each other ( even when working properly).

Xenon bulbs are available in different colour temperatures, measured in degrees Kelvin. The most common colour is 4300k but it can go as low as 4000k (warmer, more yellow) and up to 6000k or more (cooler, more blue). The cooler bulbs seem brighter when looked at directly but once the light is reflected off the road, etc, the human eye is most sensitive to objects lit with 4300k.

By comparison, halogen is about 2700k.

g.png

How much Xenons Pink now?

What ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom