Xenon nightmare

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model 3 LR, Model X /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
Hi everyone, on my 2003 w209 the xenon dipped beams have been playing up. Sometimes it will say dipped beam left out and then bulb won't switch on, however if I switch off and on a few times it'll work sometimes not, then some days the right beam won't work and again off/on may or may not get it working, then sometimes both won't work and show errors then off and on will get one side working maybe both... this is really annoying me and I have no idea what could cause this.
Anyone have any ideas?

That's exactly what Ollie at PCS said however when the car was with him both lights worked so he was unable to diagnose and he's about 1.5-2hrs away so need a day off work to get there ;)

Is there an easy way to check the earth?

Is there an easy way to check the earth?
A multimeter? I'd look for continuity between a known-good earth (probably on the engine) and the negative terminal on the lights.

Does anyone know where the earth points are so I can see if they are rusted ? Whenever I take it down to the garage the lights start working so it still hasn't been solved :D

You could just install a second earth point yourself. - I did this in the Nissan, which has standard halogen bulbs that were a bit dim; they were much brighter afterwards.

All I did was run a length of automotive wire (I forget what gauge) from the negative side of the headlight to a good earth on the body.

There is an earth stud a foot up from the headlamps on the inner wing.
Several brown wires coming off it.

It's rusty as hell, do I need to disconnect battery before sanding it if engines off?

You could just install a second earth point yourself. - I did this in the Nissan, which has standard halogen bulbs that were a bit dim; they were much brighter afterwards.

All I did was run a length of automotive wire (I forget what gauge) from the negative side of the headlight to a good earth on the body.

Hey that seems like a good solution but would rather try and sand current earth down first :)

Will post photo tomorrow

clk320x said:
It's rusty as hell, do I need to disconnect battery before sanding it if engines off?
No, no need. Loosen it off, clean up to bright metal, and add a dab of vaseline/lithium/normal grease when finished.

No, no need. Loosen it off, clean up to bright metal, and add a dab of vaseline/lithium/normal grease when finished.

Cheers mate, I'll keep you updated. Will give it a shot maybe tomorrow :)

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom