Xenons Flickering

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fuzzer

MB Enthusiast
Car
F25 X3 20d SE
Has anyone else noticed a flicker off their xenons? or are mine going bammy?

Could be sign of a bulb going dodgy ... or maybe the ballast. Warranty job for you anyway I would hope, either way !

I'd say the flickering will be a ballast/starter problem more than an actual lamp problem..

Mike

Its a ballast/ignitor problem (if fault is persistent...). However, it is rare for the balalst/ignitor to be faulty on both headlamps simultaneously.

Another possibilty is that there was not enough power from the battery (if an islodated one of fincident). On my W203 bi xenons (one of the bulbs failed to ignite until 30 seconds later and appeared to be just a one off glitch... (luckily all was ok after...)

There is a technical bulletin for this on brand new 2004/5 face lift cars that left the factory for the US market. US Stealers started to replace bulbs to begin with (there was a colour mis match) and obviously this did not fix the problem and even went as far as replacing the entire headlamp unit/assembly...

ill see how it goes , ive done quite a lot of short ish journeys in the cold recently . It was just the nearside lamp that i noticed flickering in asda carpark... Must have looked a right tool looking at my headlamp in the dark :D

fuzzer said:
ill see how it goes , ive done quite a lot of short ish journeys in the cold recently . It was just the nearside lamp that i noticed flickering in asda carpark... Must have looked a right tool looking at my headlamp in the dark :D

My car used to be garaged alot and ona short journy did the same on just one bulb... i have a feeling all is fine and will be ok... As long as the xenons fire up immeditaly now upon activation then I would conclude that it is not an ignotor/ballast issue.

mine are fine - one of the few things that are fine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom