Xenons on for short periods

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cobra2222

Car
E350 CDI Coupe
Hi all,

Quick question, is having xenons (w209) on for short periods of time damaging to the ballast or igniters? When I park in my works underground car park they auto switch on for about 30 seconds while I park and the same when I leave and was curious.

I wondered the same, as when I pull into my car port at home, they come on for 2 seconds until I switch the engine off.

Does the lighting switch not have an 'off' position?

I've switched auto lighting off on both my cars with xenons as, apart from possibly reducing the life of the ballast and igniter, I'm sure it must reduce the useful life of the bulb by coming on unnecessarily.

The light output from xenons reduces with age/use. I fitted new Philips ones in my CL and the improvement was very noticeable.

Do they still come automatically with the wipers, even if the switch is set to Off?

After 10 years and 150,000 miles the Xenon lights on the Citroen I sold still worked perfectly with all the original bulbs.

The only part that failed was the self-leveling sensor due to corrosion, which was mounted on the back axle.

Xenons should last the life of the car, and mine certainly did.

Be very careful...excessive use of Xenons can cause cancer.

Next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom