XJ / XF - not necessarily defecting!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Skateboard
I will be moving the E55 on but I have no idea when really at this stage.

However, I like to look into possible alternatives for the future.

I am a bit bored of the usual German offerings and am considering something a bit off the beaten track.

I quite like the current XJ shape and the XF. I'd probably be looking at examples within the last 3/4 years or newer (as time goes on) I would have thought (I wouldn't want one of the early XJs).

Probably be looking at the smaller petrol engine I would guess unless I have to buy an oiler (I am not keen on this as I suspect diesels will be penalised with regards to emissions at some point).

Anyone got any experience or pearls to offer on either these?

The XF does look nice a nice car, although seem to have tiny wheels.

You do know you will be buying a Tata though?

;)

Check out cost of service parts. Brakes particularly. If your going XF I would go oiler over small petrol. Twin turbo diesel a lovely torquey drive. Keep an eye out for special addition S models with sports pack. The bigger rims set them off a treat. Tyres pricey though! I have a two colleagues who run them. Both rave about drive but moan about brakes tyre costs.

I own an XF 'S' Portfolio, the engine is a twin-turbo V6 diesel with 275bhp and 600nm torque.

I had a similar thought process to you in that I wasn't really enamoured with anything German of this sort of size.

The W212 feels a step back in a big way compared to the W211 and the 5 series (F10?) was irritating when I test drove it; the interior strikes me as being designed by someone with all of their artistic abilities removed.

I'd always fancied an XF, partly because they were so far removed from the usual Jag image (which isn't a million miles from Mercedes) so I knew I'd have to try them. I'd also always seen the XF as the W211's natural successor and I was right.

I've got to say that it's actually exceeded all my expectations; mine has 20" Selena alloys yet the ride is far from crashy and if I didn't know better I'd have said they were 18's the ride being sublime. Mine being the top model comes highly specced (Bowers and Wilkins stereo, reverse camera, leather stitched dashboard etc). I average late 40's on a run and mid 30's around town and even at 120 there's plenty of power left. It's whisper quiet too, although the V6 has a surprising grumble to it under load.

I bought this actually under slightly false pretences; as long as it doesn't give me any headaches I'll definately be buying an XFR at some point.

If you're keen on staying petrol, the 5.0 V8 might be a good car for you to look at.

The XF does look nice a nice car, although seem to have tiny wheels.

You do know you will be buying a Tata though?

;)

Yes, I knew they bought Jaguar a long time ago from Ford I believe. They've done a good job with the XF and XJ so I welcome their fresh approach. The S and X types left me cold.

Check out cost of service parts. Brakes particularly. If your going XF I would go oiler over small petrol. Twin turbo diesel a lovely torquey drive. Keep an eye out for special addition S models with sports pack. The bigger rims set them off a treat. Tyres pricey though! I have a two colleagues who run them. Both rave about drive but moan about brakes tyre costs.

I'm hoping they are cheaper to run than an E55K! Deal's off otherwise lol.

An XFRS surely :dk:.

You know, I love the big fast V8 thing but sometimes I find it hard to not press the loud pedal and within nanoseconds, you can be driving very fast as you know.

I kind of feel if I cannot kerb (pun intended) my enthusiasm, I need to force myself into a situation where the car I drive is one which doesn't feel like it wants to go quicker all the time.

Never say never but I feel like I've done the fast V8 thing for now and the E63 5.5 is more than I am willing to spend on a car.

However, the units in these Jags produce reasonable figures so it won't be proper cold turkey. The thought of the big luxo barge still appeals at the moment.

I love the look of the XFR - especially in black with the black strip on the back which joins the tail lights together. Such a small detail but works well.

I still want a car which I can look at and enjoy the design - like I do with the W211, and as you suggest Lee, it feels like the natural successor.

Anyone got anything on the current XJs? I don't see many so these seem to be quite exclusive. That could be because of the styling or because they are shyte - which is what I'd want to find out!

Hi John,
My brother in law has this 63 plate XJ Portfolio diesel. He bought it new as he was offered a good deal on a cancelled order. He paid £45k on a £64K list price. Previously he always had Mercs, 190's, E-class and S-class since the 1980's. After a few weeks he regretted his choice, and every time I see him he moans about how much he dislikes the car and wishes he bought the new S class. It has had several electrical issues fixed under warranty, most recently all four window mechanisms replaced as he kept finding the windows down after leaving the car locked in the rain! His main gripe is the size of the car, although being the standard wheelbase with parking sensors and cameras, he finds it difficult to park as it is bigger than most parking spaces.

I have driven it a few times and it drives very nicely. My main concerns are the build quality. It you look around the car, outside and inside it is like you can see the joins. Look under the wheel arches and you see gaps and joins almost like a Meccano kit. The interior is a bit of a let down too. I dislike the massive dashboard with the fake wood trim that sweeps in front of you. The centre dash reminds me of the 1980's Amstrad music centre without the twin casette deck.
Also the window sill on the doors seem to curve in and dig in my shoulders. I don't like the offset steering wheel shape but I'm sure I'd get used to it. To my mind also it is not that roomy. a lot of space is wasted with the swept back rear screen.

Just my two penneth, but as I said my BIL regrets buying the XJ.

Regards
Martin

Attachments

• j4.jpeg
    j4.jpeg
    154.9 KB · Views: 41
  • j1.jpeg
    j1.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 45
I agree with the above, mainly regarding electrical issues and build quality.

I ran an XFR for just over 12 months, trading it in for my current Mercedes. I was probably spoilt as my previous car was an S8 Audi, which I traded for the Jag.

Initially the Jag ticked all the boxes, and I had promised myself one for a while. the test drive went well, nice well appointed car with all the boxes ticked (ex Jaguar demo) even a sunroof, which no-one had ever seen on the R version. I ran it for a couple of weeks, basically getting used to the features and bits and pieces, but didn't seem to gel with it, though couldn't work out why. the handling was impressive, probably better than the one I have now, though there were always niggles, like squeaky seats and dash.

After I had got over the initial "new to me" factor, I started looking into it a bit more and, as stated by Vilus above, noticed that the panel gaps were all over the place, mainly the front and rear bumpers, but skirts as well. I actually re-fitted the front bumper myself, but still couldn't get it 100% where it met the front wings. Also, some of the edges on certain panels looked like they'd been cut with a bread knife.

Then the electrical problems started. One day the radio just died. No reason, it just packed in. As I was near to my local dealership I called in with it and a tech came out to look at it. I was then told not to worry as there was an upgrade for some module or other and, if I was prepared to wait, they'd apply it. No problem, hung around for an hour or so, only to be told that there was something else which had gone and it couldn't be done then, but if I could book it in again they would get it sorted which, to their credit, they did. Even picked the car up from home, took it away and got it working again.

I have no complaints with the dealerships, and Mercedes could learn a lot from them, though by this time I'd lost a lot of interest in the car, and other things were starting to annoy me with it. The touch screen control panel in particular was a slow, laggy piece of tat which wouldn't look out of place in a 90's console, the seats, whilst comfy and firm, seemed lacking in adjustment and I could never get them exactly how I wanted them but it was the lack of quality in finish which rally started to grate in the end. Even the bonnet vents were loose and rattled ever time you cleaned it.

Sorry to have rambled on a bit, but if you are interested in a Jag, get as long a test drive as possible, ideally over a weekend, so you can make your own decisions. I still like the marque, and an F Type would possibly interest me in the not too distant future, though I'd be going in with eyes wide open this time.

As for the XJ, just a personal thing but I didn't like the interior at all, reminded me of a speedboat with the wooden trim around the top of the dash.

Nope, all rambling is welcome on this topic!

I know our OD has a 58 plate and recently had gearbox electronics issues and it does some other quirky things.

I (wrongly) assumed they would have ironed this sh*t out by now on the XF!

Better the devil you know methinks... :rolleyes:

Oh you will regret parting with that 55k when the time comes John.

Oh you will regret parting with that 55k when the time comes John.

Hmm.

:crazy:

Only as I went out for a walk having read this thread, I thought "better the devil you know"... :rolleyes:

The interior is a bit of a let down too. I dislike the massive dashboard with the fake wood trim that sweeps in front of you. The centre dash reminds me of the 1980's Amstrad music centre without the twin casette deck.

Martin

Whilst having some empathy with your opinion on the interior, I have to say that there's no fake wood. They are "premium wood veneers" and I've seen them being made. Whether they are attractive or not is a matter of personal taste. The XJ interior puts me in mind of 1950s American gas guzzlers; all chrome and glitz. Jaguar designers haven't done themselves any favours here in my opinion. A bit of a snub to the traditional Jaguar buyer, though I've no doubt they've done it to try to shake off the grandad image in favour of trying to attract younger customers. Don't think it's worked though because XJs are thin on the ground.

I'm in this boat too while looking for a daily driver and totally agree with SPX on the Beemer, XF doesn't do it for me I destroyed 2 of them under relatively mild testing

Build quality on all new MB is carp and those stick on screens are a joke

Volvo just the same as MB in build quality just cheap and nasty

Was in the Audi dealer yesterday and just waiting to hear from them when they can get me the new A6 bi turbo to have a go in, so we'll see how that drives

Decisions decisions

Whilst having some empathy with your opinion on the interior, I have to say that there's no fake wood. They are "premium wood veneers" and I've seen them being made. Whether they are attractive or not is a matter of personal taste. The XJ interior puts me in mind of 1950s American gas guzzlers; all chrome and glitz. Jaguar designers haven't done themselves any favours here in my opinion. A bit of a snub to the traditional Jaguar buyer, though I've no doubt they've done it to try to shake off the grandad image in favour of trying to attract younger customers. Don't think it's worked though because XJs are thin on the ground.

It is indeed real wood, and a bloody good quality too.......but 50's Yanks? Oh no, the interior takes inspiration from the Classic Italian RIVA speed boats/tenders.......hence the sweeping wood trim strip and metallic surfaces (which I do not like).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom