XK8, anyone driven, owned one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lotusmark2

MB Enthusiast
Car
Fiat 500, Mercedes B200
OK first off I am trying to resist this but I have noticed that 4.0 coupe XK8's can be had for some good deals. has anyone owned , driven or know anything about them?
Cheers
M

And very expensive unreliable engines! check to see on autotrader to see how many mention recent new engines at low mileages(60k) !

Seamster15 said:
And very expensive unreliable engines! check to see on autotrader to see how many mention recent new engines at low mileages(60k) !

That's nikasil bore wear, the same as the BMW V8 (92-95) and IL 6's (96-98) suffered.The replacement engines use a different material and are fine.The later cars are well sorted,certainly better than some Mercedes.The convertible suffers from scuttle shake.BTW I see the new XKR convertible has just beaten the SL 500 in a Autoexpress magazine test and over 3 years holds onto £10k more in projected retained value.

adam

I looked at buying an XKR - early ones are problematic - convertibles not that nice. The new car isn't much different from the 2005 model under the skin.

XK8's and XKR's are a great vehicle. Get one without the nikasil issue (easily done with your wits about you) and I'm sure you'll have a great car.

Its on the shortlist for the CLK replacement for me, and whilst Jaguars are not free from faults they are not really any worse than an equivalent MB from the same era.

I say go for it, just bear in mind that costs are more like SL style than C Class style. :)

My father has had one for a number of years, so I've been able to use it now and then. His has done nearly 110,000 miles without missing a beat. Its a lovely car, very unique and still a design classic I think. Keep your wits about you and I think you'll have a great car.

BTW - he brought his from auction, paid about 5k less than dealer sticker price. Worth considering.

Seamster15 said:
I've noticed alot of Jaguars with replacement engines at low mileage but I'm led to beleive that all have been done under warranty/a recall so maybe not altogether a black mark on Jaguar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom