XP Pro SP 3 Disk Space

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidjpowell

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 w212 and Ford Ranger
Hi

I have a workhorse computer which I specced for the family business a few years ago. Not up to much by modern standards, but I have a project in mind for it.

It tells me that XP Pro SP3 is using 38GB of space, which is a bit of a problem on a 40GB disk. I'm surprised as this computer was specced for XP, albeit the Hard Drive was never intended as a local document store.

Could anyone check the size of their Windows folder per chance? I suspect that I have buggered it up by logging on with my profile which has music within My Documents.

Grateful, as always for any assistance.

David

The system folder should be within 508gb on a windows XP machine.

It sounds like your profiles are on the D drive which isnt ideal if you have a second disk. You could always move the profile to the second disk if you like.

Other stuff includes removing windows update uninstallers, shrinking restore partition sizes etc but frankly you can get a 1TB disk for £50 now so why not clone your 40GB disk onto a 1TB jobbie and be done with it all.

If 40 GB does not cut it then that sounds like what I will have to do. Nothings ever straighforward!

Question is...

HTF does an XP install use up 38Gb?

I just did same onto a 36Gb Raptor and used about 10GB...

This is what I am trying to determine. If it's just my normal profile, then for this PC I will format the drive (again) and just have a seperate profile with no music etc. for this machine.

Run Disk Cleanup (part of windows) and remove all but the latest System Restore Point.

Run the Disk Checker (with automatically fix... ticked).

Run CCleaner (download it).

If it's stull nearly full then wipe it and re-install.

Also worth seeing if any other user profiles are on there taking up large amounts of space.

Should have cleaned this up. I did in th end format the drive, re-install XP and setup a new profile for use on this computer - without music this time. Seems to be ok.

My Windows XP SP3 is ~4GB and this does not include profiles, which are in a separate folder 'Documents and Settings'

The XP has all the latest updates from MS too, plus those from MS Office 2007.

HTH

My works laptop uses XP pro, and only uses 11GB, but that includes a duplicate of itself. So in real terms use 5 GB

The OS needs fast drive. A 40gb disk will doubtlessly be of old technology and quite slow in today's standards. I would replace it with a modern drive, regardless of the capacity issue, especially considering how cheap hard disks are these days.

If neccesary I will. But my aim is not to spend money on this PC. If the application runs fast enough I will be happy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom