XP restore not restorig.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

esox

My xp system restore goes through the motions,but after restarting i get"unable to restore,no changes have been made"

Whats up?:confused:

You need to go to a specific restore date. On the callender which pops up, there are highlighted dates. These are the restore dates

HTH Geoff

Why the restore?

If nothing has changed, then it won't restore, in other words, there is nothing to restore.

Suspect it's a bit more serious than that. If the restore point has become corrupted XP won't use it & either a repair or reinstall may be necessary.

A lot depends on why the Sytem Restore is being used & if there's another way 'round.

Often when SR fails it describes why. If there's no clue given it is probably a damaged file.

Some help is offered here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;302796

Don't reinsatll XP, you will lose everything unless you back it up.

masqueraid said:
Suspect it's a bit more serious than that. If the restore point has become corrupted XP won't use it & either a repair or reinstall may be necessary.

A lot depends on why the Sytem Restore is being used & if there's another way 'round.

Often when SR fails it describes why. If there's no clue given it is probably a damaged file.

Some help is offered here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;302796

I agree here. Norton GoBack is better than XP restore as it is more flexible and allows new software evaluation before storing to your hard drive.

Try going back to a restore point further back in time. You might need to try a few, depending upon what caused the problem.

Remember you can go back further than the current month using the < arrow - if the date is in bold then it has a restore point.

Go to the oldest available as a last resort.

Whats the oldest restore point - is there a cut-off?

I tried going back as far as poss,i think it was only about 4 months, even though the machine is appros 30 months old....

The 'oldest restore point' is simply that. When you run the wizard you will get a selection of dates that are available. Unfortunately there is no guarantee that they will either restore successfully or solve your problem.

System Restore is a dramatic choice to solve an XP problem. Why have you chosen to do this? There may be a more simple solution.

masqueraid said:
The 'oldest restore point' is simply that. When you run the wizard you will get a selection of dates that are available. Unfortunately there is no guarantee that they will either restore successfully or solve your problem.

System Restore is a dramatic choice to solve an XP problem. Why have you chosen to do this? There may be a more simple solution.

Not being a compooter boffin,i tried restore to fix an internet connection prob.I fixed it another way,but it just concerns me that the system restore is not working as it should,and there may be a time when i do need it...

Good to hear the main problem is fixed. It sounds like your system restore file has got corrupted at some point. The best trick now if your PC is running OK is to switch off system restore (Go to system restore, tick turn off system restore on all drives - click apply and OK the warning message). Shutdown and restart your computer). Then go back to system restore and untick the box - apply and deliberately create a system restore point - see the animated tutorial here http://filext.com/flash/restorepoint.htm This will enable you to restore the computer to the state it is today if you need to. You can also use this technique to set a restore point before making any substantial changes to your PC but as mentioned previously you should consider SR as almost the last resort for fixing your PC. There is usually another way to fix things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom