Yamaha RD250 1978 - Resto (Slow Resto)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ah, the air cooled one. Rode the 400 version once on a track day. Lovely motor but shite tyres and chassis.

This is a 250 and non-matching numbers, however, it was free, zero, nada and it's still a 42 year old Jap classic :thumb:

Allspeeds ?

I can almost smell the Castrol R from here.

K

Allspeeds ?

I can almost smell the Castrol R from here.

K

Yes, Allspeeds - though they are a bit worse for wear. You can buy them new again now, for £600.

Want to double your money on it ;)

I’ll even throw in a bag of Haribo:D

I’m starting a rebuild on this TW - started stripping it, and the loom is a mixture of mains cables, bell wire, badly crimped bullet connectors, and insulation tape.
Bought a replacement...
Ignition switch and handlebar switches stripped cleaned corrosion now all good.
Carb stripped, ultrasonically cleaned, and the cheesemetal screws switched for Allen bolts.
The next few weeks may afford time to do some more.....

9A27795E-8B1D-4122-B83C-ABA3A4D6D365.jpeg 585F7BA2-441F-41C0-9CC3-CFE7CF900E49.jpeg

Hmm... Coffin-tank 250DX. Great fun, but never as quick as the GT250A Suzi, nor the earlier YDS7's.

What’s the plan, John?

Turn it into a tidy, usable, bike or go further?

Hello Phil, I'll post a few of the "before" shots and some of the "after" as it progresses.

It was in a bit of a state after 15 years outside, but a new battery and plugs, clean points and it fired up nicely - there's a vid if I can work out how to upload it.

I've taken the easy route and powdered stuff, including some things that the die hards frown upon - wheels and fork lowers for example, but I want practicality over anorak spec.

So, a half decent resto hopefully - somewhere in-between a quick polish and a total nut and bolt job.

Spend will get out of control, inevitably, but my starting point of zero cost helps :thumb:

So, a half decent resto hopefully - somewhere in-between a quick polish and a total nut and bolt job.
Sounds like a sensible approach to me. Full nut-and-bolt resto's are almost always a recipe for financial ruin, and - to me, anyway - only have any logic at all if the target bike is something rare.

Look forward to the photos (and vid!).

I do love any sort of restorations; cars, houses, bikes!

My dad’s looking for a late 70’s Kettle to restore but they’re £5k just for a rough one!

My dad’s looking for a late 70’s Kettle to restore but they’re £5k just for a rough one!
Friend of mine sold his very nice example last summer, after deciding he didn't need two 1970's stroker triples (he's kept his immaculate Kwack H2 Mach IV).

Regarding the kettles, my tip would be to find (and pay for) one that's at least 95% right as the high ingoing price for a rough one plus what it would cost to make it right make them totally unviable otherwise.

Friend of mine sold his very nice example last summer, after deciding he didn't need two 1970's stroker triples (he's kept his immaculate Kwack H2 Mach IV).

Regarding the kettles, my tip would be to find (and pay for) one that's at least 95% right as the high ingoing price for a rough one plus what it would cost to make it right make them totally unviable otherwise.
Cheers Phil, we’re already on top of it, there was one nearby that was quite a wreck that went for in the region of £4500 yet you can buy something that just needs a bit of TLC for a grand or two more.

we’re already on top of it
As an alternative, the contemporary GT550 triple could be worth looking at. Doesn't have the cachet of the kettle, but the prices are a lot softer too. Quite nice to ride, and they have an electric foot...

Someone give me a shout please when prices for Mk1 250 Gammas start to firm. The first ever production bike with an aluminium frame - but it doesn't have RD or LC emblazoned on it. Way more sophisticated than any LC though.

As an alternative, the contemporary GT550 triple could be worth looking at. Doesn't have the cachet of the kettle, but the prices are a lot softer too. Quite nice to ride, and they have an electric foot...
It’s got to be a kettle; it was the bike he owned that he had to sell when I was born..

A pal of mine did a nut and bolt resto on a kettle and keeps it in one of those bubble jobbies. He tells the story of how he got some stick on the Kettle forum because he'd used Alle caps on his engine cases :D

I'll sort out a photo Lee :thumb:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom