Yamaha RD250 1978 - Resto (Slow Resto)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A pal of mine did a nut and blot resto on a kettle and keeps it in one of those bubble jobbies. He tells the story of how he got some stick on the Kettle forum because he'd used Alle caps on his engine cases :D

I'll sort out a photo Lee :thumb:
Cheers pal, he’ll love that.

He always tells me how his love affair started with Suzuki (his current one a GSX1400 he bought brand new) was when he went to the bike showroom to buy a Triumph, they had one on display that was brand new and it had an oil leak ”they all do that sir, if there’s oil on the ground at least you know there’s some in the engine”(!!) so he asked for a ride on a GT750 and the rest is history...

Strange really that he’s such a lover of Range Rovers etc but wouldn’t have a British bike given!

He couldn't get original pipes anywhere though.
Funny you mention that. One of the reasons my mate sold his kettle was because it had an immaculate set of original pipes on it, and he just didn’t enjoy riding it in case he dropped it and ruined something irreplaceable.

He tells the story of how he got some stick on the Kettle forum because he'd used Alle caps on his engine cases
People get really upset if the bolt heads don’t have the stylised Suzuki “S” on them!

I restored a 1975 RD350B a short while ago. Took it all apart, restored absolutely every part. Because I didn’t photograph the disassembly, stupidly thinking I’d remember where it all went, I had to then buy a 1975 RD250B just to see what went where! I then restored that too. Definitely not something you do to make money. I’ll dig out some pictures.

True story.

My ex Father in Law was a haulage contractor and, to keep himself amused, bought a 1936 Guy truck. It had originally been bodied as a furniture removal truck, so had an unusually long bed on it and also an unusually high ratio diff, meaning it was capable of quite scary speeds. Anyway, the body was in a dire state when he bought it and rather than spend a fortune re-bodying it, that was ripped off and he converted it to a flatbed.

Now anyone who’s ever seen any of the restored commercial vehicles at shows will know that people tend to go a bit OTT with finish - polished and lacquered beds, super-shiny paint with gorgeous pinstripes and bulled-up bright work. Yes, they look lovely, but nothing like a working vehicle would have been. FIL decided he would present his truck as though it were a working vehicle, so a brush-painted cab, patinated radiator & rough-sawn bed.

As a member of the HCVC he entered it on the Brighton run one year and, slightly tongue in cheek, he also entered it for the Concours event. So, with the truck parked up on Brighton seafront a couple of judges with clipboards start scrutinising it. “Do you have a toolkit?”, asks one of the judges. Not really sure what they want tools for, nevertheless FIL hops onto the bed and drags across a cantilevered toolbox to the edge.

“Oh no”, says the judge, “I meant the original toolkit”.

FIL, now standing up on the bed looks down at the judge and says, “You’re having a laugh, mate. Are you going to ask the bloke with the motorised horse box parked next to me if he's got the original horse sh1t in the back of it?”.

Needless to say, he didn’t win a Concours prize :D

Last edited:
Definitely not something you do to make money.

Most certainly - already the costs are adding up.
Rechrome fork legs £160
Rebore/pistons £220
Blast/powdering £500 (there was a lot done)

And there will be much much more I'm sure - paint, seat, loom, bearings, tyres etc. etc. however, it does take me back to my yoof, so it's all good :thumb:

Let me know if this works please - a start up shortly after I collected it - new battery, plugs, points cleaned...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Some pictures
606edb25fb2cdc2e76f57133fe0b992a.jpg

975502c5c8ae799e8595e611425f24dd.jpg

2911f61b9d919c3bc8d9fd239aa3b735.jpg

349df056e6ff275351f39a173ddbd9ba.jpg

b398a9f8d5047df3830a20c2c34a9055.jpg

0f0b5471f5e007d80345bdc2e41ccf7f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, (one on file) but forum won't let me post as 'too large'.
I'm not the only one who experiences this but on another forum operating similarly to this one (inc same 'Upload a File' method) photos post no problem.

You can download free image resizing software, such as this: FastStone Photo Resizer, or use an image host?

Thanks - but I shouldn't have to (and after the last PhotoBucket debacle any third parties are off my radar). If it were simple (as on other forums) this forum would benefit. The spontaneity vanishes with the rigmarole of having to go via image hosts or resizers.

img_4623-jpg.217317

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom