Yamaha RD250 1978 - Resto (Slow Resto)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
not the sure footed handling of my old Ariel Arrow,
I thought at first you were going to say Ariel Atom. :)

That didn’t take you long.
V. Impressed :thumb:

It's not as quick as it looks :D

The "previous" photos are from last year before I stripped it and sent it away for powder etc.

The "new" photo is from this week, where I began the rebuilt - and I'm now finding there are quite a few small parts missing, where the previous owner had fitted clip ons and rear sets, taking off the OEM parts along the way. Fowlers and Yambits are now in my favourites list :D:cool:

It's not as quick as it looks :D

The "previous" photos are from last year before I stripped it and sent it away for powder etc.

The "new" photo is from this week, where I began the rebuilt - and I'm now finding there are quite a few small parts missing, where the previous owner had fitted clip ons and rear sets, taking off the OEM parts along the way. Fowlers and Yambits are now in my favourites list :D:cool:
You had me fooled there :)
Even so it’s a great project to have during lockdown.
I think it’s great when folk like yourself spend time and effort restoring old bikes/cars. :)
I look forward to reading about your progress.
Keep the updates coming and best wishes. :)

I recently sold a mint R1 1999 in blue. Went for £3800. I paid £3000 for it a year ago. Not bad but I need the space. Currently restoring a 1997 ZX7R one of the green/purple ones. Hanging onto the 999 Ducati for as long possible. Dreadfully uncomfortable to ride, gorgeous to look at and that sound.......paid £3500 for it about five years ago. It’s only done 7000 miles . I really do wish I’d kept at least one of the RD’s though. There is just something about them...............

Im keen to watch this restore of the RD so don’t hold back on the updates please

On the subject of "restoration", my neighbour is building a Mk1 Mini Cooper from bare metal up. The shell has recently returned from the paintshop in original racing green with white roof. It's now upside down on a jig while he fits brake lines and steering rack. All components will be new or rebuilt to as-new condition. His target is to have an "ex-factory" equivalent car on the road in 12 months. It may be sooner as his business is on ice. Sadly I can't do any spannering for him during distancing. I can occasionally walk past his garage and shout at him.

Im keen to watch this restore of the RD so don’t hold back on the updates please

Over the last few days I've replaced the wheel bearings, seals and dust covers and ordered parts that are either single use only, like locking tab washers, or parts that are just too far gone to restore -15 years outside has taken it's toll :(

My previously multi-coloured wheels are taking shape - though I've cheated and gone for a powder finish, as I want durability and don't have time to keep polishing the rims...
YAM9.jpg YAM10.JPG

Last edited:
And I had the cush drives removed by an old boy in a machine shop - they are a bugger to get out as they are in a blind hole - so he tapped them, made a shoulder and withdrew them with a bolt - before I found out they are hard to find and/or expensive :crazy:, but luckily a request on the RD forum produced a NOS set for £30 - result :thumb:
Easy to install.YAM11.JPG YAM12.JPG YAM13.jpg

A bit of cleaning, a touch of spray paint and a few new zinc plated panheads/washers - making today a productive downtime day.
The rubber mounting grommets will be replaced soon enough.YAM14.JPG
Yam15.jpg
Yam16.jpg

Last edited:
A bit more done - I'm pleased with the plastics as I've never sprayed plastic from a rattle can, but I was told about adhesion promoter as a pre paint treatment and it certainly works.YAM23.JPG
yam30.jpg
yam27.jpg
YAM26.JPG
YAM25.jpg

This photo brought back memories:

yam26-jpg.95385

Many years ago I bought a Honda CB250RS as a cheap winter hack. It was a part-ex that a friend of mine, Chas, who had a motorcycle dealer's business had taken in and it was so cheap I bought it unseen & untried knowing he would have taken it back if it had been really bad. I picked it up and rode it about 2 miles home and it seemed reasonable, so that was that. After checking over the brakes, tyres, chain & sprockets, checking both for play and smooth movement at the steering head, and bouncing the suspension a few times I concluded it was safe enough to take it for a more spirited test ride. It was then that I found the front-end trying to tie itself in knots under heavier braking so I drove it home again, rather more sedately, to investigate.

As did many bikes of that era, it had a plastic front mudguard under which should have been a U-shaped plated steel fork brace. A closer inspection revealed that a previous owner had either lost it at some stage or had decided to remove it to save weight. Plastic mudguards don't provide much torsional rigidity 🤦‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom