Yanny or Laurel?

Is it Yanny or Laurel?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I hear more like "Yaurel" but definitely not Yanny.

It's Yanny and if you can't hear that then your ears are broken.

Laurel.

Those saying it's so mega ultra definitely this or that, haven't watched the explanation video clearly. It's dependant on your ears, and how different frequency bands reverberate around them, before your brain gets an opportunity to interpret (or mis-interpret, as is the case with Yanny, as the original sound is a recording of someone showing how to pronounce the name Laurel)

That's like asking the same thing of someone who's colourblind. No matter how much you tell them its red, and you might be right, but they're experiencing green. We don't even know if your red is the same as my red, which can explain having different colour preferences. VSauce did an excellent video explaining that idea.

It's Yanny and if you can't hear that then your ears are broken.
Correct. My ears are broken (well, wearing out anyway) in that I’m missing the higher frequencies. So I can only hear Laurel. I suspect that’s the case for most of us vintage members.

Ok guys, what does this mean then...

On the iPad I hear yanny

On my phone i hear laurel

Laurel.

Those saying it's so mega ultra definitely this or that, haven't watched the explanation video clearly. It's dependant on your ears, and how different frequency bands reverberate around them, before your brain gets an opportunity to interpret (or mis-interpret, as is the case with Yanny, as the original sound is a recording of someone showing how to pronounce the name Laurel)

That's like asking the same thing of someone who's colourblind. No matter how much you tell them its red, and you might be right, but they're experiencing green. We don't even know if your red is the same as my red, which can explain having different colour preferences. VSauce did an excellent video explaining that idea.
I’ve always suspected our colour interpretation varies from person to person. How great the variation is I couldn’t say, but perhaps it’s quite big. So when we say “that’s red”, we may just mean “that’s what most people call red”.

When it comes to what we hear, there may again be variations in how our brain analyses the vibrations. After all, sound is no more than a different frequency range to vision. I suppose the different interpretations carried out by our brains could well contribute to our different tastes in music.

I’ve always suspected our colour interpretation varies from person to person. How great the variation is I couldn’t say, but perhaps it’s quite big. So when we say “that’s red”, we may just mean “that’s what most people call red”.

I'll PM you a link to the video I'm referring to. I've had that theory since childhood but didn't quite know how to put it into words, and you get funny looks trying to explain it. o_O

I can't see the bear either

My younger daughter and I hear Laurel, but my older daughter on iphone hears Yanny, and on PC and on iphone with headphones she hears Laurel.
Mrs hears Yammy.

When my wife played it to me on her iPhone yesterday I heard a noise which wasn't either Yanny or Laurel, but was most like Yanny. Today, I just clicked the link at the top of this thread on my iPad, and I hear Laurel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom