Yaw rate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jenglish

Car
A209 CLK320
Wondering where the yaw rate sensor would be? Because that measures wheel speed too?

Trying to see if theres any water damage causing my gearbix to go in limp mode.

CLK320 2005 Convertible petrol

The yaw rate sensor is in the base of the boot, just in front of the spare wheel well, under a large black plastic cover. It's a black plastic box, fag-packet sized, held in a sort of clamp (IIRC).
It doesn't measure wheel speed; the yaw rate sensor output measures vehicle rotation in the horizontal plane (i.e. turning corners/skidding...). If the detected yaw rate is inconsistent with the vehicle speed & steering angle, the ESP programme assumes understeer/oversteer and applies the appropriate individual brake to correct. From personal experience I would say that it's a system that works remarkably well.

I periodically get an 'ESP inoperative' error on the dash. Resetting it & everything works fine again for another year or so. I guess some of the analogue components in the device have aged out of tolerance. I must get round to fixing it.

Ian.

Hi, I have an intermittent ESP inoperative on my 2009 s204. Trouble is Merc don't want to touch it because its done 260k and they don't think the car is worth what might get spent on trying to find an intermittent fault. Bring it back when it's a continuous fault.

I want to crack on and change the most likely parts, starting with the yaw sensor that keeps popping up on here from people with a similar intermittent issue. Struggling to source one though with my local car parts suppliers telling me I have to go to merc.

Does anybody have anything they can offer on where you sourced one from, or even a part number that could help my search. Really want it to be oem if I am going to try fitting a new one. I'm servicing it next weekend so makes sense for me to try and change this at the same time.

The yaw sensor on my 2006 C class W203 estate is in the centre of the car (inside) behind the seat assembly, as described by IanW pack of card/fag packet size. hard to see how it would ever get wet , but with a convertible , who knows ?

Hi
When you get the intermittent ESP fault, do you get any other warning lights?

No other lights. I bought one of the used sensors off ebay last night, cheap but I can't say I'm particularly happy about fitting it, just can't find a new one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom