Yawn Insurance time again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R2D2

MB Enthusiast
Car
C350
C200 auto mods declared, grill, wheels, chip, filters.....
Want comprehensive, protected no claims, legal cover.
Renewal figure from Elephant £495
Others
NU, churchill and about a dozen others wont quote because of the mods!

Admiral £543
Privilege £457
went back to Elephant for a haggle and got £433

Last year I paid £514! So my insurance has actually fallen! :bannana:

Will likely go for the £433.

Incidently Esure only insure non modded cars driven by saints and If my car were unmodded they would have charged £434. so my mods havent cost me any extra! :bannana:

Cant help but think you could get cheaper, either that or I am on to a good thing.

I'm 25, have the C230K, mods declared and my premium was £550 from Elelphant. Garaged, Oxfordshire postcode.

Its your post code that does it for you!

Its worth giving confused.com a go. I normally use elephant but i got a cheaper deal on via confused this time

Confused =£543.

E300 Turbo diesel estate £325 with the Pru, worth a try

ah but you are in nice Bristol not Car Park Kent!

Try directline. I tried Elephant, Churchill, AA etc. Directline came in a £327 for me and the wife (40 & 38 respectively) with full no claims on a 2002 ML320 fully comp.

All other quotes were above £400.

Cant complain!

Ended up with Privilege for £388 which is £126 cheaper than last year!

R2D2 said:
There is a moral to this thread: "which insurance company?" threads DO NOT work! Everyone has a favourite, which only really works for that person. Every insurance company has it's own set of variables and how much weight each one carries. How old you are, where you live, what kind of car it is, whether you have any claims or not etc all go into a nasty computer and it spits out what level of extortion you have to cough up.

R2D2 said:

That is cheap, esp with the mods.

Though you can't drive other cars under third party, if that is an issue or not with your personal circumstances.

I tried confused.com and only 4 of the 60 companies they submit to would consider insuring me, there quotes were laughable. I have not been able to beat direct line for the last 2 years.

I'm 42 with E14 postcode and insure a 1999 C230K fully omprehensive with Direct LIne for £450 approximately. I keep the premiums down by specifying a large £1,000 voluntary excess. I like to think that this makes me more careful, as although I'll collect lots if the car gets written off, small dings would be paid for out of my pocket.
Direct Line are didn't alow me to alter my excess in the first 2 years I used them, but after that I asked and they were perfectly willing to do it.
Actually i almost didn't use them as when I first bought the merc, I got them to quote for me over the phone. Then, having bought the car, called them up to insure, only to be told that they wouldn't insure me! Having pointed out that I'd just spent £'000's based on their quote - would they like to reconsider! It took 10 minutes of very interesting discussions to get them to change their minds!
Rgds
Les

I've been with Direct line for years, just had my quote for August 1st £285 fully comp and this includes business use.
£250 excess for an '03 C220 CDI avantguard with only factory mods, sports suspension etc,.
Some of the quotes I have had from other companies are way out, if I had to pay over £400 then its goodbye MB, hello cheap Hyundai.

Dave

Simon said:
I've not tried them but the Post Office has started doing car insurance. Might be worth a look.

I bet you have queue to get it then fill in a long form, pay £15 to get the cashier to check it and then the cover note arrives 3 days after the accident! ;)

Dave Kerr said:
I've been with Direct line for years, just had my quote for August 1st £285 fully comp and this includes business use.
£250 excess for an '03 C220 CDI avantguard with only factory mods, sports suspension etc,.
Some of the quotes I have had from other companies are way out, if I had to pay over £400 then its goodbye MB, hello cheap Hyundai.

Dave

Not quite... I have E240 (group 14?) and a VW Polo 1.4 (group 6?)

Same circumstances except E240 is social domestic only, Polo is social domestic and commuting, and E240 is garaged, Polo on drive;
premium for E240 is £380, and Polo is £330 not much difference
:eek:

Audi 90 2.3 I just sold (group 15) was £285 social domestic
So I was surprised when my insurance jumped to £330 with the replacement Polo.. I thought hang on...
- I was told the Audi was an old car (13.5 years old) and the Polo a newer one.

prices are from the same insurance company.

Having gone with Privilege for £388 and tried confused.com who were as useless as Jimmy said they would be, this morning I got a letter from Mercedes asking me to get a quote from them.

I rang up and went through the details and told them about my £388 quote in the hope they might try and beat it!

Well did they get to £388?
£398?
£408?
£458?
£508?

£608?

£708!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROTFLOL

R2D2 said:
Having gone with Privilege for £388 and tried confused.com who were as useless as Jimmy said they would be, this morning I got a letter from Mercedes asking me to get a quote from them.
I have been with Privilege for the past 4 years until a friend suggested I try a quote from Tesco (online).
Privilege were looking for £348 to renew this year however for the same cover Tesco only wanted £282. Elephant were only £12 dearer than Tesco but no-one else came close and I phone at least 10 companies every year to try and get the best deal. Worth a quick visit to their website... could save some money?

Tesco didnt like my mods!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom