Yearly/monthly/weekly MPG cost calculator comparator

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

W210 Fan

MB Enthusiast
Car
W140 S500L W208 430
have been looking at a few cars recently and not knowing which one would cost what I decided to make a cost comparison calulator based on fuel consumption, not a whole life cost based on servicing, spares and depreciation but its a start,

Its not the most complicated Excel spreadsheet known to man, I tried to make a better one today but I ran out of skill with the program, if anybody wants to help me with a simplier spreadsheet they can download my failed attempt here and fix it!!

If you can fix it I can host it and maybe have it as a sticky if its any good?

http://www.albioncranbourne.co.uk/Tinternet_merc_mpgs.xls

There is a working but simple version here

http://www.albioncranbourne.co.uk/Working_merc_mpgs.xls

The spreadsheet is based on the vehicles combined cycle putting in £30 at the pump each time (can be changed), it tells you the cost per mile/week/month/year and the amount of miles you will travel on a given amount of fuel,

Some things have to be assumed, average fuel price, work mileage, fuel consumption,

The spreedsheet has already had the cars in my watchlist filled in, any others can be added, the combined cycle info can be got from Autotrader and anybody with a bit of Excel knowledge can drag the cells down, repeat the equations and get the answers, Fuel prices can also be changed as well as work mileage and work days giving you a cost to get to work and back, weekend mileage not known and not accounted for.

The car highlighted in grey is my audi, the figures given are about right, not christian motoring but not thrashing - just my average journey to work over a week, also the E55 is a bit harsh, I got 20ish out of mine not 8.8!!

Here is a sheet worked up but I can't host excel documents. Pass me your email addy and I will forward it for you to host and use.

Last edited:
You can do a vlookup on column D so that it picks up the correct fuel price depending on whether its diesel or petrol (needs another field for this).
Perhaps have the combined fuel on a flexible rate. E.g. if one does more motorway mileage, then perhaps he/she can acheive 110% of the combined figure. Lower if more town driving or if you have a heavy right foot.
I'll try to PM my version.

Dinnie has sorted it out - thanks,

Does anybody have online access to combined fuel consumption figures for differing mercs and engines and I can fill them all in, if possible one page with them all on would be great, I can get them all from Autotrader but it would take ages.......

This site isn't bad for that kind of stuff.

PJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom