Years ago had an old Ford Pop 100e

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
1959 triumph herald coupe 180 BOX

You could sit on the front wheel while you worked on the engine, and EVERYTHING was easily accessible.
Gearbox out? Just a couple of bolts held the fibreglass transmission cover and you had full easy access to the box.
Kids today. Don't know they're born :)

Remember how few miles these "classics" used to cover before they failed.

A 50K miler was a bit of a secondhand gamble. Today 100K is "barely run in"

Column change and bench seats!!! No thank you!

Much easier to get over to the passenger's side!;)

Remember how few miles these "classics" used to cover before they failed.

A 50K miler was a bit of a secondhand gamble. Today 100K is "barely run in"

What happened to the signs

"RUNNING IN PLEASE PASS" :thumb:

Great memories - thanks guys. In 50 years of motoring I've never owned a Ford, but the 850 Morris Minor stories related above hold true for me. Mine could go for days on end without problems! The temporary radiator leak cure I performed by breaking an egg into the header tank lasted for months. The only maintenance issue I ever had with it was when a seal went on the master brake cylinder - it's what Morris used as the starting point when assembling the cars; everything else was built around it!

The first engine rebuild I did was on a 1954 Jaguar Mk7 (3442cc straight 6 XK engine). I was just 18 at the time and it was my second car (the first being an Austin A40 Somerset). The clutch had gone and the only way to get at it was to take out the engine and gearbox together (not easy without a hoist, but ropes and 4x2 and friends did the job). Whilst it was out I decided to give the engine a makeover with new piston rings and shells, polished head, etc. In my ignorance, what I failed to do was keep the big end halves matched together, foolishly thinking I didn't need to because I was fitting new shells :eek:. Surprise surprise, when I'd reassembled the engine and put everything back in the car it wouldn't turn over :mad:. At the time I couldn't work out what I'd done wrong and the car eventually finished up at God's metal graveyard. But I learn't a lot about car mechanics! [Can you imagine what it'd cost for an 18 year old to insure a car like that these days?!!! Not a problem back in 1965.]

Aitch55 said:
You missed the push button starter mounted in the floor :) and pudding stirrer gear lever (pre Cooper remote gear linkage)

And spluttering to a halt whenever it encountered a puddle of any size :(

Great little cars. :)

Mine had a key starter - changed a few years before. But still the long gear lever. Also had a fresh air heater (I think this was at extra cost, over the recirculating air heater. Not much use as demister - you used to be able to get a fluid you smeared on the inside of the screen to prevent misting up - worked quite well. Driving my current Merc in the recent heavy snow was a nightmare. The old mini was far, far better.

Exhaust used to fracture at the point where it joined the manifold. A bodge repair involved an old steel food can slotted inside to bridge the gap and sealed with gun gum. Saved £10 for a new exhaust (until I got stopped by a routine checkpoint, where they went over the whole car with a fine tooth comb, and the slightly blowing exhaust was the only thing they could find).

Happy days! I really loved that car.

Orwic

Morris mini minor 850 countryman (mine was a 1967 car): not bad to work on. Not that many tools needed. Refurbished valves, wheel bearings, cv joints, wheel bearings, dynamo, starter motor, brakes - all fairly easy jobs. Bypass hose a tricky job though - and quite often sprang a leak. Points replaced routinely to keep performance up to scratch. Foot operated washers, with a huge reservoir (a whole pint of water!), with non self parking wipers. Heave on the handbrake too hard, and it broke off (had to get mine welded back twice). Brakes faded dramatically - could be scary at times. No synchro in first (and first was needed on steep hills with 4 people inside). Sliding windows. Car leaked in very wet weather, and you could end up with a gallon of water in the floor (cured by drilling drain holes). Fitted my own radio (dry cell battery radio on the back seat with a window-mounted antenna). Also fitted a very loud horn (and still wish i had one as loud on my current car). One thing I remember was that it was very reliable - started fine no matter what the weather. Only let me down once. Parking in a tight spot once, i was turning the steering wheel and it failed - just turned round and round in the car but nothing happening on the road wheels. called the AA and the guy tells me i need a new steering column. Main parts agent nearby - the AA man waited while I went over there and bought a new one and he fitted it on the spot. Finally got rid of it in 1977 (not without a pang of regret, I admit).

Orwic

I'd hate to think what an unreliable car might be like...

Great memories - thanks guys. In 50 years of motoring I've never owned a Ford, but the 850 Morris Minor stories related above hold true for me. Mine could go for days on end without problems! The temporary radiator leak cure I performed by breaking an egg into the header tank lasted for months. The only maintenance issue I ever had with it was when a seal went on the master brake cylinder - it's what Morris used as the starting point when assembling the cars; everything else was built around it!

The Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT was the similar with the standing pedals and the master cylinder under the floor! Nightmare :eek: - but what a car to drive. :cool: some piccies of the offending item here. identify brake master cylinder - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

At 17 I was given a split screen morris minor with no engine. Built a 1275 unit with (I think) a piper cam, ported head & twin SU's.

Cash ran out before I finished, so left with standard brakes. Deadly (but fun!)

Dieselman said:
I'd hate to think what an unreliable car might be like...

Maybe I should have said it was very reliable in terms of starting. But yes, looking back, it was reliable. Maybe because I spent a lot of time adjusting and maintaining it. Standard service was every 3000 miles, I think - but my servicing was on a rolling programme rather than waiting for the 'time'!

knighterrant said:
Great memories - thanks guys. In 50 years of motoring I've never owned a Ford, but the 850 Morris Minor stories related above hold true for me. Mine could go for days on end without problems! The temporary radiator leak cure I performed by breaking an egg into the header tank lasted for months.

Unusual fixes - that reminds me. A friend and I were driving to a party in his old Morris Minor when the fan belt snapped. He assured me it didn't matter - you could make a temporary repair with a pair of women's tights. Much hilarity amongst the girls at the party when the request was made - but a pair of tights was eventually obtained!

Orwic

Ah. the Morris Mini 850, £1 would fill the tank and the security of the sliding front windows was something to behold. The rattle of the timing chain, the thump of the hydrolastic(sp) suspension, but lowering the car was easy, just let some fluid out :D. Replacing the bypass hose when it gave out annually with the addition of antifreeze, was a job to look forward to, in the end I found it easier to remove the head:D

My first car was a second hand 1952 Ford Anglia E93A with a 933cc side valve engine.

Each morning I started it with the starting handle to save the 6 volt battery from running flat.

In 1959 when I purchased it for £180, I could fill the petrol tank up for £1, petrol being about 3s 4d a gallon.

A set of AF spanners / socket set was all that was needed to keep it running. It never let me down during my ownership and was replaced with a Ford Anglia 100E.

Replacing the bypass hose when it gave out annually with the addition of antifreeze, was a job to look forward to, in the end I found it easier to remove the head:D

Bypass hose a tricky job though - and quite often sprang a leak.Orwic

Much easier since these flexible hoses came on the market a few years ago:

Classic Mini A Series easy fit water pump bypass hose with clips | eBay

That is a standard bypass hose and they are a sod to fit. The hose is about 2.5inches long and the gap between the head and the block is about half an inch or seemed like it :D

The standard ones (or the ones on my 1100s and 1300's at least) didn't have the ridges and were just a short, straight length of hose.

The ridged ones are designed to be more flexible (softer rubber compound) and allow much easier fitting - hence the description in the Ebay listing.

Convoluted by-pass hoses were available in the early '70s and were a doddle (read struggle) to fit compared to the OE hose.

Scott_F said:
The standard ones (or the ones on my 1100s and 1300's at least) didn't have the ridges and were just a short, straight length of hose.

The ridged ones are designed to be more flexible (softer rubber compound) and allow much easier fitting - hence the description in the Ebay listing.

That's right. The 'real' hose is a straight-sided affair, with thick walls. Although my old mini has no doubt been turned into baked bean containers (or who knows, is part of a more up market vehicle), I think there is an original hose lying around somewhere that I bought and never managed to fit. The corrugated ones were thinner walled, and while easier to handle were still an absolute ****** to fit. I used to buy them in pairs, expecting to mangle one during the fitting process.

Orwic

Always a pain to fit, and I could never figure out why it was designed like that in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom