Years ago had an old Ford Pop 100e

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

meoldbangar

Car
C180 W202
Years ago had an old ford pop 100e
Head gasket went, still got me home 98 miles later
Side valve engine, so simple to repair, 8 bolts , job done (after a clean)

Brakes, doddle to replace
Starter end worm gear to replace- piece of cake

Piston blew its top off - to replace - a doddle

The question I would like to ask - is there a modern car in the same league

Because in my opinion the 100e was a magic motor for the DIY mechanic

Your thoughts on old cars much appreciated

Years ago had a Morris Minor...you want to lower the front ...just strip the suspension and move the torsion bar round a notch. About an hour.

Years ago mate of mine had an MM Morris Minor - side valve engine - and another mate was about to scrap a Minor with a good 803 OHV goldie engine - so between Friday evening and Sunday evening Steve and I swopped engine, gearbox, prop shaft, back axle, rear suspension, front suspension and towed the dead one to the scrappie using Steve's now OHV MM!

Anything with a BMC A or B Series engine will be very straightforward to work on under the bonnet.

Anything with a BMC A or B Series engine will be very straightforward to work on under the bonnet.

Providing it's not got a warm cam and twin SU carburettors - as my son's MG Midget had. Whoever had the engine uprated had the wrong needles in the carbs. We eventually found a man who knew what he was about, and he transformed the car! Basically though, you are correct - 2 spanners and a screwdriver, and an hour later the engine is on the garage floor in pieces!!

My Dad's first car was a 100 Ford Pop. TMH 949. Happy memories of trundling off to Southport in it. I think he drained the rad in winter every night as antifreeze was too expensive. Happy Days.

I miss the the old choke cable held open with a strategically placed clothes peg though and the vacuum operated wipers made overtaking in the rain interesting! Water pump? --- what's that anyway?

What about the hand pumped screen washers?

What about the hand pumped screen washers?
That brings back memories, the last car I had the cylinder head off was my old Hillman Avenger GL, since then it's just been oil swaps, yer just don't get to tinker in the garage these days, gives the missus far too much time to find jobs for you :(

Morris mini minor 850 countryman (mine was a 1967 car): not bad to work on. Not that many tools needed. Refurbished valves, wheel bearings, cv joints, wheel bearings, dynamo, starter motor, brakes - all fairly easy jobs. Bypass hose a tricky job though - and quite often sprang a leak. Points replaced routinely to keep performance up to scratch. Foot operated washers, with a huge reservoir (a whole pint of water!), with non self parking wipers. Heave on the handbrake too hard, and it broke off (had to get mine welded back twice). Brakes faded dramatically - could be scary at times. No synchro in first (and first was needed on steep hills with 4 people inside). Sliding windows. Car leaked in very wet weather, and you could end up with a gallon of water in the floor (cured by drilling drain holes). Fitted my own radio (dry cell battery radio on the back seat with a window-mounted antenna). Also fitted a very loud horn (and still wish i had one as loud on my current car). One thing I remember was that it was very reliable - started fine no matter what the weather. Only let me down once. Parking in a tight spot once, i was turning the steering wheel and it failed - just turned round and round in the car but nothing happening on the road wheels. called the AA and the guy tells me i need a new steering column. Main parts agent nearby - the AA man waited while I went over there and bought a new one and he fitted it on the spot. Finally got rid of it in 1977 (not without a pang of regret, I admit).

Orwic

Morris mini minor 850 countryman (mine was a 1967 car): not bad to work on. Not that many tools needed. Refurbished valves, wheel bearings, cv joints, wheel bearings, dynamo, starter motor, brakes - all fairly easy jobs. Bypass hose a tricky job though - and quite often sprang a leak. Points replaced routinely to keep performance up to scratch. Foot operated washers, with a huge reservoir (a whole pint of water!), with non self parking wipers. Heave on the handbrake too hard, and it broke off (had to get mine welded back twice). Brakes faded dramatically - could be scary at times. No synchro in first (and first was needed on steep hills with 4 people inside). Sliding windows. Car leaked in very wet weather, and you could end up with a gallon of water in the floor (cured by drilling drain holes). Fitted my own radio (dry cell battery radio on the back seat with a window-mounted antenna). Also fitted a very loud horn (and still wish i had one as loud on my current car). One thing I remember was that it was very reliable - started fine no matter what the weather. Only let me down once. Parking in a tight spot once, i was turning the steering wheel and it failed - just turned round and round in the car but nothing happening on the road wheels. called the AA and the guy tells me i need a new steering column. Main parts agent nearby - the AA man waited while I went over there and bought a new one and he fitted it on the spot. Finally got rid of it in 1977 (not without a pang of regret, I admit).

Orwic

You missed the push button starter mounted in the floor :) and pudding stirrer gear lever (pre Cooper remote gear linkage)

And spluttering to a halt whenever it encountered a puddle of any size :(

Great little cars. :)

My first car, when I passed my test aged 17, was a 1937 Morris 8 Tourer, given to me as an MOT failure. New pair of reflectors (2/6d) cured that bit, and a strip down of the front cart springs, degreasing them and reassembling them extra tight - new hangers were unavailable - reduced the steering play to an acceptable level. Job done!

The next car was a 1953 100e Anglia, bought as a rebuilt write-off! It used a pint of oil to each gallon of petrol, pouring bright blue smoke out of the crankcase breather tube, and into the car..... So I pushed a piece of garden hose over the breather pipe, routed it to the back of the car into a bit of metal pipe - hey presto twin exhausts, both belching clouds of smoke.

Both of these were in the mad mid 1960s

Now the antidote to the computer-filled ultra sophisticated C220 is my self-built 3wheeler powered by a twin carbed 1978 Honda CX engine.

Malcolm

I miss the the old choke cable held open with a strategically placed clothes peg though and the vacuum operated wipers made overtaking in the rain interesting! Water pump? --- what's that anyway?

Vacuum operated wipers ! Happy Memories

Years ago had an old ford pop 100e

So did I - it was the first car I ever bought. I was 17, and I think the car was only a couple of years younger than me. Often referred to as the "E" type - followed by "100 E type", with a Sean Connery style intonation!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom