Yellow triangle and tone warning of ???????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thecolonel

Car
ML (W164)
Heading back down mmmm25 today 2 miles after fueling up and momentarily the yellow warning triangle flashed up on dash and a beep was heard, car seemed to accelerate ok (was under med/heavy acceleration at the time) no display message was seen but it happened about 4 or 5 times within a min and then stopped. I was setting the cruise at the time initially but may have been coincidence and it worked fine all way home thereafter.

According to the manual, it maybe the wheel slipping but i doubt that, but nothing has been logged on the message display that i have been able to access.

I will get it on a diag machine at some point but anyone any thoughts?

Theres a few members on hear with similar but none that i can see with a solution or conclusion?

The big yellow triangle flashes up on mine when giving it some gas. I've always assumed it's just wheelspin or esp kicking in.

Sorry I can't shed anymore light on it than that!

The cause will be different wheel speeds for a moment I suspect. Were you going through a puddle?

Thanks guys, no i wasnt near a puddle, the road was dry. But what i did think was that maybe some oil / diesel got on the tyre(s) when i filled up maybefrom the forecourt.

So in short, if the esp or tcs senses a difference in road speed on the tyres it flashes the yellow warning triangle (rather than an esp light) and bings an alarm everytime?

In which case, snow week is going to be noisey and flashy in my car!

But fun. as you sail past other who are having a much worse time than you:thumb:

Traction control kicking in... but I don't remember mine making noises either.

Since it happened just after you fuelled up almost certainly diesel fuel on one or more of the tyres. Because your car is 4wd controlled electronically it might well be the front wheels temporarily loosing traction due to weight transfer to the rear wheels under acceleration . If hasn't occurred again I don't think you have anything to worry about- except perhaps to carefully peruse the ground around the next diesel pump you fill up at! ;)

thanks all, I am hoping it was just a one off, but intrigued as to why the beep as well as the light coming on.

Would have thought the light would flash as opposed to coming on for a second or so before going out again.

ah well, fingers crossed its not a gremlin.................

It's not a low ambient temp warning is it?

Don't know anything about MLs but our Beemer blinks a yellow warning with audible pings when the outside temp dips to 3 degrees.

Last edited:
I cant that, it wasnt that cold yesturday evening. Plus also, are they not supposed to flash a message on the display advising what the issue was? or is that only on some models?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom