Yellow Warning Triangle on dash after reversing and then at startup

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smart320

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Toyota RAV4 3dr , SLK55amg, ML320 (2 ) A210 , E320 ( all gone )
For the second time in 6 weeks have had yellow warning triangle with exclamation mark illuminated after staring my W164 ML . Message saying no ABS etc. It goes out after driving a short distance so I am assuming ABS then working. Car will be serviced in January , in about 6/700 miles. Am 2
I assume it might be a wheel sensor or something similar. Would it be best to get it done immediately or can it wait. Nearest Indi is 150 mile round trip to Cardiff so would prefer to leave it if not a safety concern. Any feedback would be welcome.

I would get it looked as soon as you can. If it is a wheel speed sensor, they can cause ML's to do all sorts of weird and wonderful things. We had a lady come in once who had a faulty wheel speed sensor and the car kept trying to do emergency stops with her on the motorway on the way here.
Other models dont seem to suffer like an ML or a GL when a wheel speed sensor goes.
Natacha @ PCS

Thanks for that input. Will organise a visit to the Indi as soon as I get home.

I'll second Natacha on that. I've been out to a W164 ML (and I don't go out or do mechanical things so would rarely see a mechanical fault at all) where it had decided to stop one wheel moving (put the brake on on it) even though rest were moving. - rear wheel sensor had failed (may have been a different rear wheel sensor actually).

This would likely cause you to crash of the road if it happened at speed.

Richard

This came up on a Watchdog programme a while back, I though MB had sorted it, could there have been a recall ?

The new ones, fingers crossed, seem to be ok. I can't tell you how many we have done this year and when one goes, there is normally another one not far behind!
Natacha

Thanks, will drive carefully home , park it up then book it in ASAP

I got home without further problems, car parked up , booked in to have it sorted in 10 days time, will have to make do with wife's 3 door RAV4 in the meantime

Will do, hopefully collecting on the 7th Dec after 2 days at Indi. Will be first time on Star since I bought it so hopefully they will not find too many things wrong with it . As it drives really quietly and pulls very well with a smooth gear change and with only 44 k miles on the clock I would be surprised if there was a lot other than sensor (s) and the glow plug or controller issue.

Update. Yesterday collected the car having had 6 glow plugs replaced, sorted!
Offside front wheel sensor replaced with upgraded replacement and all faults on star had been erased and the car taken out and test driven 2/3 miles and rechecked , no faults showed.
Garage advised me there had been a gearbox fault showing which they said they hoped had been caused by the faulty speed sensor , they asked had the gearbox oil and filter been changed as now 44 k miles, I confirmed done by MB dealer 2016 at 40k.
Drove 50 miles, stopped for a coffee and when restarted ABS/ESP warning back on!!
Phoned garage and drove back to put on Star , showed rear speed sensor faulty but also same gearbox fault. Going to replace the rear sensor but garage suspects that the gearbox control unit probably needs replacing , says best done at MB, they do not refurb as claim reloading original gearbox software may mean corrupt data used. Will see what new sensor does but if the same thing happens again looks like another £1500 on top of the bill for the other work which will be £600 plus the cost of the rear sensor and fitting.
Not a good Christmas present and am flying abroad on Monday so might just have to leave the car in the hands of the Indi / dealer to sort while I am away if not OK by tonight

Back again tonight, rear sensor replaced and faults cleared, just driven it 75 miles and seems fine. Garage thinks if problem reappears more likely to be the rear SAM than the gearbox, but it will be the dealer if it reappears

If I reverse into a paring space on full lock, mine will show the the ABS warning etc.

After moving forward for a few yards, the lights go out and the system works fine otherwise.

I dare say it's an intermittently faulty sensor, or maybe a rusty reluctor ring, but it's been doing it for nearly 3 years so it doesn't concern me.

Drove 180 miles mostly motorway yesterday and no problems on restarts so hoping all sorted. Will no doubt find out when I get back near the end of the month and it has been standing outside for nearly 3 weeks .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom