Yen/Japanese imports

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

masher_uk

Car
C300 Coupe AMG Line Premium Selenite Grey Porcelain Leather
Have you seen the exchange rate recently? Back in October it was ~180 Yen to the pound and today it's ~130 :eek: I only mention it because this week I bought a new guitar at the 'old' price of £880; the same guitar from the same (and every other) music shop is now ~£1200!! :crazy: Reason given: "It's the strength of the Yen against the pound, sir..."

I'm happy since I got it for the 'old' price but this trend could have a major impact assuming it carries through to TVs, cameras and all the other japanese goods we import. So if you've had your eye on that 50" flat screen for a while it might be worthwhile grabbing it sooner rather than later. Just a thought...

Yep, I've had to revise my valuation with the insurance co. for my Civic, now that it'll cost about 40% more to replace.

Have you seen the exchange rate recently? Back in October it was ~180 Yen to the pound and today it's ~130 :eek: I only mention it because this week I bought a new guitar at the 'old' price of £880; the same guitar from the same (and every other) music shop is now ~£1200!! :crazy: Reason given: "It's the strength of the Yen against the pound, sir..."

I'm happy since I got it for the 'old' price but this trend could have a major impact assuming it carries through to TVs, cameras and all the other japanese goods we import. So if you've had your eye on that 50" flat screen for a while it might be worthwhile grabbing it sooner rather than later. Just a thought...

Those £7.5 billion trains the goverment has decided to import from Japan may end costing even more then.

This is true, but the japanese are in the initial stages of printing very large amounts of Yen, which may very well lead to a sharp reversal (unless our printing presses start up first and are more effecient!)

Not just the Yen.

My business has dropped by 50% over the same time last year, I'm an importer and buy in Euro's and US $.....

I have customers expecting to come in and find a credit crunch bargain and I'm having to explain prices have had to go up 30%-40%....difficult times for anyone other than exporters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom