Yet another Engine Oil question!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ayadov77

Car
E-class S211 facelift, and S210 facelift
Hi everyone and thanks in advance for helping,

I just bought a Mercedes w210 E320 year 1999 (facelift). I have difficulties finding the right engine oil.
If I know which Oil grade should I use, it makes it easy to choose the right oil from the sheets provided by MB website.
But it's very unclear which grade should be used for my (Engine 112941), most threads I read on this (and other forums) advice 229.5 with fleece filter. But on my Service book says I must use only 229.1,
So I was confused between 229.3 and 229.5 until I read my service book, now I'm totally confused.

Should I stick to the 229.1? Or do I have to go with the newer grades 229.3 and 229.5?

Thank you
Ayad
IMG_03092019_193911_(1080_x_1350_pixel).jpg

Personally i would stick to what it says your book. Different oil specs are not necessarily better, just more suitable for a particular engine.
Hope this helps.

Doubt you'll find 229.1 as it an old spec and so is 229.3. Later specs are retrospective so I just use a 229.5 which is easily found as a 5W40.

I thought fleece filters were an American thing, I've never seen them discussed in the UK. I'd use the correct filter of a quality brand for that engine and not worry about it being described as fleece.

I would just go with 229.5.

The thing with 229.5 and fleece filter was that only if you had both, could you go for the extende oil change interval mileage, otherwise is was as per the service manual. And as 190 said, this never made it to the UK anyway.

Hi everyone & thank you all for helping,

Sorry for the late reply, as I've been driving literally since the day this topic started .

Because I didn't know when was the last service, so I used 8 litres of the 229.5 I had laying down (was bought for my w211).

After driving for about 3000 KM mostly on European highways, me, wife and at least 400 kilo's of luggage.
what an amazing machine, although its my fifth w210 in the past 15 years but never had e320 until now, I'm amazed how smooth and comfortable is this car.

Now in Tunis (Tunisia). I'm glad I changed the oil home, because I noticed here they have only Oilibya lubricants (part of ExxonMobil) and Total Qartz lubricants.

I'll stick with 229.5 as this has been confirmed by all.

Again thank you all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom