Yet Another ESP, ABS, limp home thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Looops

Car
CLK230
Sorry folks yet another ESP, ABS, no speedo, limp home thread but with a twist.

Just picked up a lovely (and cheap) C240 2001. This is my 3rd Merc in recent years and I'm fine with reading codes and replacing sensors but this one is giving me a bit of a headache.

I have an excellent Foxwell NT624 code reader which is talking to all the modules with I think as much detail as a STAR reader.
I've seen all sorts of codes on there even after clearing them: P2068; implausible rear wheel speed signal and P2036 No or incorrect message from ESP control module etc. It was logging connection errors with all 4 wheel speed sensors and modules disappearing.

The twist. My Foxwell reader will give me real-time readouts of the sensors and modules and all seemed ok and then, with the engine running because I was cold, all the errors went away and ESP, ABS etc was all good and the car drove perfectly.

The guy I bought it from did say the errors disappear when it warms up but I didn't believe him.

Been around this wonderful forum and others and can't see anyone having problems where it goes away after warming up.
I'm letting it cool now to see if it goes back to being faulty.

Hi;
Not had this with a Mercedes but did have something very similar with an E39 BMW, ABS and ASC lights would come on when warm and would be off when cold. Was traced to a faulty ABS module, re-conditioned by BBA Remann, about £120, look up your model on their site for common faults and if they can repair.
Hope that helps,
Steve.

Sounds like the ESP control module is playing up. Check the loom to it and for water ingress firstly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom