(Yet another) Original Grille or Panamericana on my SL350?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slartibartfast

SUPPORTER
Car
W221 S350L, R231 SL350, SL400
I know, it's been asked before regarding other models, but it's always nice to get opinions from other members here.

I'm considering changing my original grille to a Panamericana. I know it's a personal choice thing, but what do you think? (I've now removed the chrome number plate surround as I decided it looks better without it on the front)

SLoriginal grille.jpgslPanamerican2.jpg

I'm at the same stage, thinking about one but not sure whether I'm 100% sure I'll like it. It's an expensive experiment......

The new grille cost £180 to buy, plus whatever the body shop charges for fitting it (can't do this myself)
Yes I've seen them for sale, fortunately it's something I can do myself but it's still money wasted if I decide I don't like it once it's on. Once I'm back at work properly and earning some spare money I might take a punt.

I do like the Panamericana grille a lot. As said it gives an aggressive makeover, particularly for coupes and convertibles.
Wouldn’t suit my saloon IMHO. (Unfortunately).

I know, it's been asked before regarding other models, but it's always nice to get opinions from other members here.

I'm considering changing my original grille to a Panamericana. I know it's a personal choice thing, but what do you think? (I've now removed the chrome number plate surround as I decided it looks better without it on the front)

View attachment 111405
think it looks great.

wonder how easy it would be to move the distronic sensor ...

I've considered the same but decided against it as couldn't find enough pics that showed what it would look like.

The pic you've uploaded actually looks good, but the pics I saw, at another angle, these grills better suit the newer A-shaped grills than the previous V-shaped grills imho
panamericana-gt-front-grille-black-chrome-fits-on-mercedes-sl-r231-2012-2015_8.jpg

I am afraid I don't like the Panamericana grille on anything but the car that it is supposed to be on. It's right on Dave's S63 because it it supposed to be there. On others I think it looks a bit Mickey Mouse :rolleyes::(

It is the only think I've ever really wanted to change on my SL. 4 years on and I'm still considering it. My main issue would be the quality of the grille and it not fitting properly as my car has all the driver assistance stuff as well.

+1 from me. The pic you have posted, that car suits it whereas the picture posted in post 8 it doesn't. I think they suit particular models, unfortunately for me, my 218 CLS isn't one of them 😢

Got one put on mine makes it a bit different from the others also haven't seen a lot of them on other mercs

+1 from me. The pic you have posted, that car suits it whereas the picture posted in post 8 it doesn't. I think they suit particular models, unfortunately for me, my 218 CLS isn't one of them 😢
Lol, this is the thing, the pics in post 1 and post 8 are both R231 SLs, proof that it's not a slam dunk of a decision, may or may not look good!

Got one put on mine makes it a bit different from the others also haven't seen a lot of them on other mercs
@Bigdrew is yours a pre facelift R231? Any pictures?

Lol, this is the thing, the pics in post 1 and post 8 are both R231 SLs, proof that it's not a slam dunk of a decision, may or may not look good!

No not the same model

Pics in post 1 are with AMG Sport pack, pics in post 8 are without (different shape spoiler)

Oh I see! I never even knew there were two different options on the R231 front 👍
The optional AMG Sport pack includes:
Exterior:
  • Front and rear skirts as well as side skirts in an AMG design
  • 19-inch AMG 8.5 J x 19 light-alloy wheels with 255/35-sized tyres at the front, and 9.5 x 19 wheels with 285/30 tyres at the rear
Technology:
  • A sports suspension lowered by ten millimetres if the ABC suspension is not fitted
  • Perforated rear brake discs; all brake callipers are more eye-catching with the “Mercedes-Benz” lettering
  • Larger braking system from the V8 also for the V6
  • Special S shift identification
Interior:
  • Seats with a special vertical piping design, covered with perforated black leather
  • Steering wheel, covered with black leather in the area of grip, with
    silver-coloured shift paddles

Had just taken all of that for granted in mine!

Was the rear spoiler not part of the AMG pack? Mine has that too.
Everything in the AMG pack is in the list in my post above. Rear spoiler was an additional option - not fitted on my car, but I'm considering getting one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom