Yet another reliability survey.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by grober, Oct 25, 2008.

1. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    The oft criticised "Consumer reports" in the USA has published its latest survey.http://www.channel4.com/4car/news/news-story.jsp?news_id=18275
    The results are predicable and in line with many other surveys. Once more it appears its the companies from the far East who can teach us a thing or two about screwing cars together.
    "Japanese and Korean car manufacturers have yet again dominated an important US reliability survey.
    The 2008 Consumer Reports study of 1.4 million vehicles sold in the USA names the Scion xD (a supermini-sized hatchback related to the upcoming Toyota Urban Cruiser we'll see in Europe) as the car suffering the fewest problems in its first 12 months on the road.
    The top 10 manufacturer were all either Japanese or Korean (Hyundai was rated 8th and Kia 10th) and models particularly praised included the Honda Fit (aka Jazz), Civic Hybrid, Toyota Prius and Toyota Yaris.
    The least reliable brands were Land Rover, Chrysler and GM's Saturn.
    Of the European brands, improvements from Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Volkswagen and BMW were noted, but a third of all Mercedes were judged 'below average' and the Volkswagen Passat, Touareg and Eos all scored poorly. The Smart Fortwo had 'few problems', however."

2. jeremytaylor

jeremytaylor Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E280CDI Sport Est., CLK 200k Cab., VW T5 174, Citroen C8, and a 2CV!
    It's so small, there's less on it to go wrong :D

3. hawk20

hawk20 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    ML250 BlueTEC Sport Jan 2013
    Small, cheap, simple cars go wrong less often. The simple mechanical seats on a Skoda (like an '80's MB) rarely have a fault. Complex memory seats like on my E220cdi have loads of motors, including adjusting the steering wheel and mirrors, and all stored in a chip -- lots of scope to go wrong. But I want the memory seats. We both drive the car every day and my wife is 5ft 3in and I'm close to 6ft.

4. OP
    OP
    grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    I think what they are saying is that your electric seat adjuster etc is less likely to go wrong in your Acura, Infinity, Lexus than in your BMW, Mercedes or Audi? However I have a feeling this survey concentrates on cars in the first year/few years of ownership. How these models stack up in the longevity stakes 5 years down the line may be somewhat different.;)

5. Diesel Benz

Diesel Benz Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
    I did not find how this study was done. Often it is about owner's opinions an how satisfied they are with their car. MB owners (others too) expect a lot more from an MB compared to a Korean car, with the same number of issues the MB owners would judge reliability differently from others.

I do not doubt Japanese cars having less issues than MBs, a direct comparison, even and objective one, does not always make sense.

In any case fine if this puts pressure on MB, hopefully they just don't solve the reliability by making these cars like the Japanese cars are.

6. glojo

glojo MB Club Veteran

Car:
    S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
    If they were to do a list of officially required recalls I wonder how that would look?

John

7. st13phil

st13phil MB Club Veteran

Car:
    His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
    I'm not sure of the situation with Consumer Reports now, but the major criticism of their car reliability surveys always used to be that they paid no attention to the "seriousness" of a reported fault and hence (for example) the failure of a rear window blind on Mercedes was rated equal to the failure of a major drivetrain component an a Toyota. On the American-dominated MB forums there was much whinging that memory seats weren't available on the W204 when it was launched over there. Some thought it penny-pinching; others thought it was a deliberate act on MB's part to simplify their cars and hence improve their Consumer Reports reliability ratings.

8. JasM

JasM Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2014 Range Rover SDV8 Autobiography
    These reliability surveys don't influence my decision making when buying a car, as these surveys don't mean much to me.

9. Smiley

Smiley Hardcore MB Enthusiast

My own experience of Jap cars - limited to Toyota and Lexus is that they never ever went wrong. Just nothing - and one of them was 11 years old when I sold it with 140k miles - and zippo had ever gone worng with it or had ceased to function - inc all the electric seats and sunroof and climate and cruise - all worked perfectly. The driving expereince is no where near as good though. If Lexus ever make a diesel car/ estate that drives well and looks good then BMW and Merc will be in deep doo doo.