yet another social networking question from me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonnyboy

MB Enthusiast
Car
1991 sl300-24 project,s124 280,w115 no interior, w108 project no engine
Hi all

Bit of a weird question here following some lively banter in my local.
From a "legal" standpoint (ish), what is the score with stuff posted on social networking sites?
For example, "my boss is a ******, I want to leave" etc, and what about pictures taken which involve clients/client's property which could conceivably be traced back to the employer via a staff member? Leading on from that, what about pictures posted on someone's homepage which show someone else's house/car/family/pet crocodile or the likes that they didn't give permission to be posted?
It seems to me to be a total nightmare all of this, just wondering where we are with it as a nation?

A lot of employers are now amending contracts to include any misuse of social networking can and will result in dismissal.

Be very careful.

I just tend to keep to the safe/boring option of being careful about what I post up on social networking sites. I have friends, family, and work colleagues all as my contacts.

Just makes sense to be sensible about your online communications.

Hi all

Bit of a weird question here following some lively banter in my local.
From a "legal" standpoint (ish), what is the score with stuff posted on social networking sites?
For example, "my boss is a ******, I want to leave" etc, and what about pictures taken which involve clients/client's property which could conceivably be traced back to the employer via a staff member? Leading on from that, what about pictures posted on someone's homepage which show someone else's house/car/family/pet crocodile or the likes that they didn't give permission to be posted?
It seems to me to be a total nightmare all of this, just wondering where we are with it as a nation?

Hate to offend the younger generation but imho anyone who posts on a public forum things like "my boss is a ******, I want to leave" or info re clients deserves to be sacked --if only for showing not an ounce of common sense... then again ... common sense does seem to be a bit like rocking horse **** these days... so maybe my expectations are too high.

Last edited:
Two rules.

1. If it can come back to bite, don't write it.
2. Friends and relatives Facebook. Work / Colleagues Linked In. Do not mix.

You have to recognise that Social Networking sites are now the first port of call for prospective employers. As soon as they get your name they will look you up or pay an agency to look you up. We may not like it? but it is simply another tool in the bag for employers to use to try and protect their business.

It is fascinating to watch how some individuals post about how they hate their job wile including pictures of themselves in their best party positions leaving little to the imagination.

Social Networking is public domain and as such is there for all to see. As are forums like this.

There's also a big rise in libel/defamation claims resulting from statements on online social networking sites ...

There's also a big rise in libel/defamation claims resulting from statements on online social networking sites ...

& against Service providers who ignore reasonable requests to remove the "offending" material.

I do have concerns regarding sites like Trip Advisor where disgruntled folks can place a negative review that trashes somebody's business. That is another topic for another thread.

If HMG asked folk to supply the same info people put on social networking sites the country would doubtless be in uproar over intrusions into personal privacy....

In 10 years or so all the uni students who posted their latest alcohol / drug fuelled binge pictures will regret it at interview time.

I think the point being made is that nobody need to ask your permission to look at your information on Social Networking Sites. Anybody who is surprised that employers, government departments, police etc make full use of these sites needs a reality check.

If you list your hobbies as drink and drug fueled sexual binges mixed with Friday Night street fighting and your dislikes as "my boss & my job at company xx" prepared to be fired or not hired.

Recent cases have included pupils who for a "jolly jape" named one of their less popular teachers as a paedophile (he was not) but then had to witness vigilante style retribution by those who believe it because it is written down. We also have the recent riots where the Police & CPS have made full use of Facebook (one example) to show the courts the intentions of those on trial to incite rioting and or violence against others.

Personally I like having the ability to be able to look up prospective candidates safe in the knowledge that they can look me up.

Last edited:
I check all prospective team members, whether from internal or external sources, on social network sites. I also check periodically what existing team members are up to too.

Anything you put into the public domain is fair game.

WRT photos, etc - is not the copyright with the photographer (and therefore the permission to post)? We had an interesting episode where a client phoned wishing to discuss the role one of my team members was playing. She had posted some "interesting" photos from her holiday and said client said that they had trouble taking her seriously during her presentation, having looked up her profile on-line.

Top advice from David in post#6. Most contracts are now amended to cover the misuse of social networking, normally in the IT section under use of IT equipment and services and employee handbook

flanaia1 said:
Top advice from David in post#6. Most contracts are now amended to cover the misuse of social networking, normally in the IT section under use of IT equipment and services and employee handbook

I crux the norm. I have many colleagues who I regard as friends. They are in facebook. My page is set to private etc so how could a potential employer access my page etc. there's nothing silly on my page bar photos of grand tours, eating habits etc. I've given up alcohol so no silly pics of me but I would find it odd why my employer would care what I get up to in my spare time, so long as I didnt bring them into disrepute my private and personal life really isn't their business.

I am quite sure when I was working that on more than one occasion my staff would hate my guts, and no doubt would voice it so. As long as they did their job, I didn't really care. Perhaps I retain a sense that work is not the be all and end all of life, and that people do some silly things that in the cold light of day they may regret, but as long as their activities do no damage to an employer, I can't see what purpose is gained from snooping. As to the wisdom of putting these things up in public, well, I am quite sure that it isn't high on the list.

As a sixth former on a field trip I got horrendously, horribly drunk and one of my fellow sixth formers (not a friend) taped me as I mouthed off. I said various, quite horrible things about the masters on my trip (I was led on as well) and then the sod played it back to the masters concerned. Apart from much shaking of heads, me having to clean up my mess and miss a day trip, they had the strength of character to recognise that it was just immaturity compounded by drunkenness and nothing more came of it - which to this day I remember as several lessons in one.

I think the issue is that it's not clear (at least to me) how your Facebook profile/activity is visible to people who aren't your friends.

Facebook seems to change the way things work/look on a whim and sometimes you get to know about the changes and sometimes not.

Even though I have the core of my Facebook profile locked down (my contact info), I assume (through paranoia) that the world can see my activity and act accordingly.

Accordingly, I'm careful about what I post and what I "like" and comment on from other people.

>>I would find it odd why my employer would care what I get up to in my spare time, so long as I didnt bring them into disrepute my private and personal life really isn't their business. >>

I would not find it odd and that is my point. It is just another tool that is available to anybody who chooses to use it. If you post nothing that could be seen as affecting your employer or employment or the police etc then you would/should have no concern.

If however an employer looks you up and you are sending out invites to the local riot and offering your services to store stolen TV's etc. YOur employer may take a different view.

As was pointed out earlier. We now live in a world where we often choose to make public our previously private escapades and yet, having done so, we get upset when people view that information and start to question, are you who they thought you were.

So you go onto Facebook and think that great here is a video of the Merc Car Valeter dealer that I use, trust and recommend to my best friends. You then watch the video and he/she is doing doughnuts around the car park in customers cars. OH Ohh.

if you have something to say or a photo to show that you woudlnt hold up in front of a crowd of people and say "i think this about you" or "here is a photo of me doing X" then dont post it on social network sites!

Just use Social networking for what they are designed for - keeping in touch with people: Do not use it as a voice to "mouth off" at people or opinionate thoughts which were best left unspoken. Employers will always check these platforms and a study in the US found that when graduates posted items such as "excessive drinking" or "drug use" on facebook they got a lot less interviews for jobs as when they were removed. These are powerful tools publishing your life details. You must be careful with social networks!

Problems also arise where staff and management friend themselves... This can and does get used to monitor staff... Sickness, holidays, absence etc can all be validated through the use of social networks.

I know of staff who have in the past faked sickness only to then post photos of their trip to manchester for some retail therapy...

Doh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom